Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

It's Alive!!

Old 06-06-2002 | 11:27 AM

Default It's Alive!!

Finally after having my Tib many pieces for many weeks, last night it purred once again. The Alpine turbo kit isn't completly installed yet, just have the UNICHIP to wire in and wire the fifth injector. Oddly to our surprise no CEL!! Very odd considering we didn't have the O2 sensor even hooked up in the turbo exhaust downpipe!! So far so good, no leaks were spotted and it should be on the road soon!
Old 06-06-2002 | 03:35 PM
BV1

I am anxious to hear what kind of results you get from this kit. How much did it set you back if you dont mind me asking?

-Steve
Old 06-07-2002 | 01:11 PM

Well I actually got the kit from skilspeed (TSR member) for $2000 US. As far as I know the kit costs $2700 to get from Alpine now. But beware the are other expenses lurking once you get into it! The kit is definatley not complete, I find this out more and more as I go along.There are no gauges with the kit which you gotta have so you can monitor boost etc. I purchased 3 gauges: boost,exhaust gas tempurature, and Air/Fuel ratio. There is no Blow Off Valve with the kit, I have purchased a Bypass Valve which will vent boost pressure spikes back into the intake stream to avoid running rich when it vents. Of course you have to get this all welded into your piping. You have to buy a couple of head gaskets as well for installation of the head spacer. It is also recommended that you upgrade your stock exhaust system to something bigger. I ended up with a 2.5" custom mandrel bent exhaust with Bullet muffler. I am also going to add a electronic boost controller as well to aid in the responsiveness of boost and to avoid boost creep. Whew!!! All in all I am in for about $3600 US ($5500 CDN) not including installation of the kit and the tuning the UNICHIP requires once we have everything wired up. Luckily I have a freind who used to be a parts manager at the local Hyundai dealership who now works at a Subaru/Mercedes/Mazda dealership who has saved me some big money buy installing all this for me!!! I owe him big time. eek!
Old 06-08-2002 | 12:32 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Cuda Turbo:
Oddly to our surprise no CEL!! Very odd considering we didn't have the O2 sensor even hooked up in the turbo exhaust downpipe!!
So when did you take out that dash light anyways?