Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Issues

Old 05-05-2005, 08:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A short story........

I have been having some issues with my car lately. When I went to work last Thursday, the 28th of April, the car lost passing gear or something. So the higher my speed got, the higher the RPM's went and it didn't shift at all. (I have an auto BTW) I relate it to driving w/ the OD off or in one of the low gears, which it wasn't in either because I checked and double checked. I left early to bring my car to Hyundai and when I got back in the car it was fine. But in low gears, mostly slowing down to a stop, the engine would jerk. They drove it on Friday to try to duplicate the problem and my husband also drove it w/ a tech to try to duplicate the problem. He lost the passing gear when he was driving it as I had experienced the day before, and the check engine light came on. They told me to take it home for the weekend so I didn't have to pay for the rental and bring it back on Monday to be hooked up for the diagnostic. Drove it on the weekend and the light went off and the problem didn't return. So I drove to work on Monday and about 15-20min into the drive, it jerks and I have the same problem again. It did it again on Tuesday morning and on my way home, all 15-20min into the drive, and my light came back on Tuesday afternoon. So I bring it back to Hyundai, enlighten them of everything and leave. A tech told me it sounded like it might be a speed sensor going bad. I told him that I thought it was the tranny and have thought that from the ghetgo. So I get a call Wednesday morning....and I'm RIGHT!!! It's my tranny getting stuck in a low gear. Thank the lord for Hyundai's 100K powertrain warranty. My car has 70K on it so it's all covered. They have to order the tranny and it should take a few days to come in so I'm expecting to have my car back sometime next week.

I'm glad they found the problem and that they gave me a rental to drive, hopefully for free b/c of their stupid new rule. Our 3rd car is in DE right now and hubby's car is in the shop for an engine swap. So now we're back down to 2 cars and neither one of them is ours. lol

Just wanted to share this bittersweet news.
Old 05-05-2005, 09:08 AM

Vehicle: 2006 Hyundai Sonata GL V6

Glad everything is being taken care of. Sounds like the dealer is treating you well.
Old 05-05-2005, 10:57 AM

Vehicle: Elantra HD / 2007

I'm glad that you found out what the problem was and dealer change tranny by the warranty for free! It's cool to have NEW tranny for free smile.gif
Old 05-05-2005, 05:54 PM

woohoo.. great dealer you got there.. keep them!
Old 05-05-2005, 05:57 PM

^^^that's for sure, it's always nice to find a dealer that does what they're supposed to...unlike mine who tried to charge me $190 for a trans flush that I got done at Midas for like $40...but that's another story...
Old 05-06-2005, 09:08 AM

This dealer has been good to me so far, you are correct. Unlike Fairfax and Woodbridge. Dayum idiots. It just sucks that the tranny is going bad at 70K. But so long as I have transportation and it's free I don't mind one bit. laugh.gif
Old 05-06-2005, 09:19 AM

Vehicle: 2006 Hyundai Sonata GL V6

It does suck that the transmission would fail at that mileage but I don't think that is characteristic of Hyundai's automatics and that's exactly what the warranty is for so it's good that they are taking care of it for you.
Old 05-09-2005, 06:52 AM

They got it done super fast. Must've had overnight shipping on the tranny. I dropped it off on Tuesday evening and they checked it out Wednesday morning and on my way home on Friday they said it was ready. It needs some breaking in but it's starting to ease itself out. Seems to run a little slow but we'll see in due time how everything goes. All in all...not too bad of an experience.