Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Intake Question

Old 05-23-2007 | 09:30 PM

So I am probably going to buy a injen intake off my friend. its almost bran new and hes selling it for like $40 to me so why not. Right now I just have a aem filter near the maf sensor, like a short ram intake. it seems to be working pretty well. I was wondering if putting on the injen would make any difference. I dont really want a cai cause I don't think its gonna be very good in the winter even with a bypass valve. And its not like its warm out all the time where I live anyways.

Thanks!
Old 05-23-2007 | 10:01 PM

Vehicle: car

Sorry, but Injen plain sucks. It's not a cold air intake, its actually a warm air intake. You won't get good gains off of it as compared to a true CAI. My suggestion, save up for an AEM intake. You can get them on eBay for about 120 shipped sometimes, and on the forums too. The Injen is a waste. But if you are that desperate for a cheap intake, get the AEM clone off of eBay and put your AEM filter on it. Then get an AEM sticker cool.gif It'll be like the real thing!... Almost...
Old 05-24-2007 | 04:13 AM

I agree with Blizaga, the filter that takes the air in sits very close to the exhaust manifold which will increase the air temperature that is intaked significantly, the AEM intake's filter sits on the other side of some plastic you'll have to cut a hole in when installing so there is actually a barrier between it and the manifold.
Old 05-24-2007 | 04:21 AM

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

aem filter sits in a little cubbyhole, yes but its a pain the arse when you hit a possum. damn possum got caught up in the wheel and the fender tonight coming home from work. omg the red tib freaking stinks and we got roughly 4 inches of rain tonight,lol.

I pulled what was left of it out of the wheelwell but the carcass left guts all over the fenderliner (which is broke in the front) and sprayed guts all over the CAI.
Old 05-24-2007 | 06:08 AM

you hit it in the red tib?
Old 05-28-2007 | 05:25 AM

Well I decided to get the aem intake. Found a good deal on ebay.

Did anyone have to move there battery or anything to install it? or is it very simple?

Because I would like to take it off for the winter when I put winter tires on, and i'll put my sri setup back on.
Old 05-28-2007 | 11:18 AM

Vehicle: 1998 Tiburon

Hey man, don't worry about the install, very straight forward. As far as the winter, I bought a cheap AOS last year and had it in there all winter long. Don't worry about that, either put a bypass valve in or get a ractive filter that comes with a heat/rain sheild. I used the filter all winter and found some rust around the clamp, but no water got in it.
Old 05-28-2007 | 11:43 AM

Vehicle: 2006 Hyundai Sonata GL V6

Well on most Tibs it is quite simple to install. There is no need to move the battery at all, you just have to cut an opening in the splash guard to let the intake pipe pass through into the inner fender where the filter will be located. Unfortunately since you have a '97 model you are likely going to have to relocate the evap. canister which may be mounted right where the filter needs to go in the inner fender area.

Do a search on this site. You should be able to find lots of info on how to do that.