Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Intake Pipe

Old 11-30-2002, 05:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon
Default Intake Pipe

Any idea where I can buy some low gauge(thin) 3" pipe for air intake use. I checked a local muffler shop but the pipe they use is pretty thick, if Im not mistaken this heavier gauge pipe would hold too much heat...right?
Old 11-30-2002, 07:37 AM

you should use either plastic plumbing tubing, because it doesn't hold heat as well as metal. Or you can use the flex metal pipe like the Random Special. The only thing is that you should wrap your intake with thermal wrap if your using a random special(to try and keep heat out of your intake air). The plastic tubing doesn't really absorb heat as bad as a metal CAI, but you have bends to worry about (90deg bends etc), where the RS has just alot of curves wink

I'd suggest making a Random Special CAI, because its so-far the best CAI dyno'ed to date. And its dirt cheap to make. And somehow i think the little metal spiral dealy inside the flex pipe, helps with flow kinda like those turbo zets wink
lol

And the thicker the metal the more heat it takes before it starts being transfered into the inner air. Wrap that puppy in thermal wrap and it should keep a good majority of the heat from transfering to the air. And the little heat you do get from either intake wouldn't be too bad, unless you have a phenolic spacer and really anal about air temp smile.gif like me wink

If you have a obd2 cable or some type of monitor, you can check your air temperature and see what makes a difference. I have a MHP cai thats made out of powder coated metal. When running high rpm's and long time it could easily reach 90-100degree's, but after i wrapped it and got it out of the way of coolant lines, then now it sits around 70-80degree's. Depending on the weather.

anyway, i hope that helped in some way smile.gif

[ November 30, 2002, 02:40 PM: Message edited by: Decker ]
Old 11-30-2002, 07:54 AM

The flex metal you're talking about, is that like the tubing used for dryers, if not what is it, where can i get it? Is there somewhere I can see a pic of the CAI using this material?

I thought about using pvc but, I couldnt find a size to fit my silicone sleeve or my filter and of course it cant be bent.

I was able to find some mandrel bent tubing in J.C. Whitney catalog but, Im afraid its going to be basically the same thick stuff at the muffler shops. Any other ideas or suggestions?
Old 11-30-2002, 02:59 PM

don't do PVC. You'll end up with too many elbows and you'll end up loosing more power due to restrictions. The pipe i was telling you about is at Random's DIY site for his RS-CAI. The thin metal tubing can be seen here.

Also due note that you don't want to do 3", it may be too large. 2.5" is your sweetspot and will work and sound a hell of alot better.

anyway, 'nuff bitchin here's the site.
Random Special CAI

[ November 30, 2002, 10:00 PM: Message edited by: Decker ]
Old 11-30-2002, 03:13 PM

Hi,

try kSpec.

we offer short and long style intake pipes for all Hyundai models.

http://www.kspec.com
Old 11-30-2002, 04:17 PM
arn

you should try to check out JC Whitney . they have some mandrel bends pipes you can use to trim and use rubber elbow for connectors. use the search above. there was a post before on how to make an intake. Though it was for a del sol. but you get the idea. and there was a 03 tib. that he did the same. I couldn't remember who posted it though. It was back at TSR board.
Old 12-02-2002, 08:14 AM

Mikey likes it I think I'm gonna try the Random special, that was an awesome idea!!
Thanks alot for all of your help
Old 12-03-2002, 07:28 AM

I havent had a chance to look at the placement of the filter after installing this new intake. The question I have is if the filter will be exposed to water in rainy weather?
Old 12-03-2002, 09:56 AM

Yes it will. But you only have to worry if you hit major puddles ALOT. I beleive someone once said, that you'd have to submerge the filter in a bucket of water for anything really horrible to happen. Otherwise you should be fine.
Old 12-03-2002, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

The Random Special puts the air filter in the fenderwell in front of the drivers front wheel. (Same for KORE and AEM).

The filter is protected on the bottom, and wheel wheel side with a plastic shield. It is partially protected on the engine side by a 2-3" lip of plastic. There are also drain holes in this plastic shield to allow water to drain out should it ever get in there.

You should not have any more problems with the RS-CAI than you would with KORE or AEM in regards to water.