Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

intake

Old 01-05-2003, 12:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default intake

i have a 99 tibby and ive put a larger TB on it along with boring out the intake manifold to match it. While i was at it i flow coated(ceramic coated) the inside and outside of the IM. Curently i have a short ram filter on it. Kinda hard to explain how it looks cause its a mix of a Weapon r and an Injen.(sorry no pics) Actually it starts of with about 3 pieces of the weapon r and connects to the MAF sensor which is directly connected to the K&N that came with a friends Injen intake for his celica. Its about a 8" filter. I know that typically a short ram is not as good as a CAI, but i have the zefiro hood for the tibby so is it really necessary for me to go ahead and do a RS or should I just leave it how it is or even build a heat shield? Thanks for any info.
Old 01-05-2003, 02:38 PM

Vehicle: 99 Tib

i love my AEM CAI great sound do u have exhaust yet? you might want to save and do that you got air flowing in good now you need to get it out.
Old 01-05-2003, 03:29 PM

no exhaust work done yet. I swear i think i have an exhaust leak but havn't been able to find anything. It makes an exhaust leak sound at lower rpms when im taking off but only at take off. Goes away at higher rmps.(not trying to go help topic though) I just dont wanna replace any exhaust until i know what a good exhaust is and if it will even help the problem im having.
Old 01-06-2003, 05:32 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Chances are, if you remove the heat shield from your exhaust manifold. You'll find cracks in the exhaust manifold. That is probably where your exhaust leak is.

Even with the Zefiro hood, a true CAI is better temp wise than a short ram, but the short ram will out flow it by a small margin. For the amount of rain you get in H-Town, I'd stick with the short ram for the "rainy" season (80% of the year) and switch to a RS/REAL CAI for drag racing.
Old 01-06-2003, 12:35 PM

i have removed the shield and i dont see any residue. Usually there is some discoloration of the exhaust manifold in the spots it is craked. no signs of that on mine. No idea what it is...kinda think it might be the first cat messed up inside....no cel. ?? maybe move this to help forum?? thanks for the help random and others