Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

installed A/F Gauge, and i'm running rich.....

Old 12-01-2002, 05:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default installed A/F Gauge, and i'm running rich.....

Got the Air Fuel gauge installed, really sweet, i got lots of pictures and howto i'll show you guys as soon as i get home.

But it working perfectly, because the S-AFC is reporting the identical readings as the gauge. bUt at full throttle, it pegs rich.

Now i don't have a cat installed, so will this throw off the o2 sensor (dout it) anyway, apart from running my s-afc to tune my engine lean, is there anything else i can do to lower the gauge? or is this normal?
Old 12-01-2002, 06:34 AM

At WOT you want it to read RICH on the gauge and not reading LEAN.
But you have to tune it on a Dyno of course to get a proper A/F mixture smile.gif smile.gif
Old 12-01-2002, 12:36 PM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

Vehicle: x3 accent gk tiburon santa fe

if you don't have a cat it won't affect the output of the first 02 sensor
but i did notice something, if i hook up a Fluke multimeter directly on the 02 sensor itself and hook my ond-2 san tool (alex pepper version)the Fluke will read lets say 0.800 Volts while the scan tool will read 0.600 Volts,maybeethe ECM is sending back some Volts into the O2 sensor circuit to filter out the signal

I don't know if someone else tried to look up at the scan tool and multimeter at the same time,it could help us verify this fact....

Denis
Old 12-02-2002, 03:09 AM
Red

You cannot attach a multimeter directly to the O2 sensor lead; it applies a false load and reads incorrectly. I don't remember the specifics, but the voltage sensing must be done in an isolated fashion.

Your O2 sensor meter should swing back and forth during normal operation (after it's fully warmed up) and should always peg in the green end when at WOT.

An A/FR meter is essentially useless for tuning; the only thing you can generally use it for is to make sure A: the O2 sensor is working and B: your car is generally doing what it's supposed to. If you stomp the throttle and it pegs in the red, then you have a problem. Outside of that, A/FR's are pretty useless on a stock O2 sensor.
Old 12-02-2002, 05:05 AM

red, when you say "pegs red" do you mean rich or lean? Cause right now, if i full throttle it, its full on rich.
Old 12-02-2002, 05:26 AM
Red

Red = lean
Old 12-02-2002, 06:41 AM

decker, your a/f meter is acting normally. i have one, and when i'm at wot, it pegs rich. i have one question for red, random, whoever, though. when i turn the car on, while the o2 sensor is heating up, should i get a reading? mine reads in the middle of stoich before the o2 sensor heats up. i thought that i shouldn't get a reading at all until the sensor's heated.

yes, i've heard that stock o2 sensors and a/f meters = useless for tuning. however, it looks really cool, and the girlies like it because of the pretty lights. a/f meter = girlies like, girlies like = fun with girls. me like girlies

red, is it true that wideband o2 sensors don't last very long (like 1500 hours), and that if i were to buy one, i should basically use it for tuning and then put the stock one back in so i don't waste it?

[ December 02, 2002, 01:43 PM: Message edited by: turbulence ]
Old 12-02-2002, 07:05 AM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

Vehicle: x3 accent gk tiburon santa fe

Red, the O2 meter is in fact a 0 to 1 volts voltmeter, wich will do the same job a GOOD (protected) multimeter/voltmeter will do
on most car i checked the reading on my Fluke and the reading on my scan toll or OBD2 lap top tool will be the same, i don't know why it's different with our hyundais

Denis

[ December 02, 2002, 02:48 PM: Message edited by: Denisst99 ]
Old 12-02-2002, 07:28 AM

when the car is cold... it will usually read rich (green)

Once the 02 sensor gets up to temp, it will vary from rich to lean at idle

AT full throttle it should be rich (Green)

While decelerating it usually runs lean (red)

If you hold the throttle at a certain position, it will eventually start varrying from rich to lean
Old 12-02-2002, 12:39 PM

JAWS 021:
when the car is cold... it will usually read rich (green)

Once the 02 sensor gets up to temp, it will vary from rich to lean at idle

AT full throttle it should be rich (Green)

While decelerating it usually runs lean (red)

If you hold the throttle at a certain position, it will eventually start varrying from rich to lean
It depends on what brand of A?f gauge you have.
On my gauge when its in the RED ZONE its RICH and the green zone is LEAN.I dont recall who makes the gauge as i purchased it a few years ago.Its got a black background and i just have BARS taht move up and down smile.gif