Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Improving the life of the starter

Old 09-16-2010 | 12:23 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Elantra
Default Improving the life of the starter

Ive been told by a mechanic friend that a good rule of thumb to help improve the life of the starter is to do the following:

-Turn off all accessories that draw load from the battery when you turn off the car. ie. Fan, A/c, etc

When you are ready to turn on the car

-Turn the key to the ACC ON position, and wait a couple of seconds. If you have good ears you may even hear the fuel pump finish priming.

-Turn and hold the key for TWO seconds (Should be all that your car needs if its healthy.) Below 0C or 32F, your car may require three.

Ive never turned stuff off before turning it on, and I dont usually stop at ACC. I usually just put the key in, and turn it all the way until the car starts up. Has anyone else ever heard of these tips, and how well will it actually help improve the life of the starter?
Old 09-16-2010 | 12:27 PM

Vehicle: 1998 Hyundai Tiburon

Waiting for the hum to stop which is letting it build fuel pressure will allow your car to start faster.
Old 09-16-2010 | 02:24 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

never followed ANY tips for starter life

the j2 still rocks the OEM starter....10 years and 140k later
Old 09-16-2010 | 09:04 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

. . . my car turns everything off during starter operation, all by itself.