Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

An Idea for Intake System.... please read.

Old 07-13-2002, 08:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default An Idea for Intake System.... please read.

I know, by now you're thinking, *this guy is chalk full of stupid questions and unimaginative ideas*. But here goes anyway...
I'm sure most of you a familiar with the various cone filters that are on the market... What I am thinking of doing is taking off my resonator, the air filter box, and the resonator that is attached on the bottom of the plastic intake pipe, and replacing the whole get-up with the cone filter. What I want to know is if the cone filter will clamp on right at where the stock intake pipe clamps on now. As for the sensors, I was going to buy breathers to attach to the ends so that the electronics don't think anything has really changed...
Does any body see any problems with that???
Get back to me, thanks.
Old 07-13-2002, 01:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lots of people do this it just attaches to the end of the maf sensor. you do not need breathers for the other hoses, just leave them on the stock
tube like they are and find a place to splice the air temp sensor into it.
Old 07-13-2002, 05:32 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

If I'm not mistake, his engine is MAP based, not MAF. For the MAP based Alpha's, yes, that would work, but would not be ideal.

The engine would be sucking in hot engine compartment air. Yes, it would suck in MORE air, and suck it in easier, but more hot air is not necessarly better than cold air, in a bit lower quanity.

You should be able to build yourself a *true* cold air intake for under $100 in materials. You will find it performs better than just a filter strapped on to the throttle body, or MAF. (if your engine is MAF based).