Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

I Sucked Up The Sea In My Cai

Old 06-01-2007 | 07:03 PM

hey does that bypass valve really keep water from getting in the engine or is it just a waste?
Old 06-01-2007 | 07:05 PM
DTN

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

^^ Most of them are just a extra in-line filter. it would be like putting holes in a straw. You can't suck the liquid through it. They work great, but unless you get a high quality bypass, it will work as a warm air intake as well.
Old 06-01-2007 | 07:56 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

The one I have is an AEM it does not suck... lol
Old 06-01-2007 | 08:15 PM

Pulling the head is a waste of time. Even if you hydrolocked your engine at 5 grand, chances are all the damage is down in the block. Water usually does not hurt the valves or the pistons, but because it does not compress will either lift the head or (more likley) bend your rods.

Like said above, pull the plugs and let the engine spin to make sure it is dry. If you are paranoid about the condition of the engine before restarting, do a compression test. A bent rod will show up quickly as a lack of compression (it is not moving the piston as far) and then, once everything checks out, start her up.

Becuase you did this at idle, I am not too worried. It takes a fair amount of vacuume to pull a significant amount of water into the engine
Old 06-01-2007 | 09:20 PM

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

^^^ yeah i didnt pull the head but the guy that told me to do that is uberoverserious about his car.

I did have a spare set of NGK ir's lying around and after taking off the IM and blowing it all out (glad i did ,oil city) , disconnecting the fuel and dry running for at least 30 pulling on the key she fired up first time . I have it on jacks right now draining the oil at work and will most likely take the oil pan off tomorrow if i see water in the drain pan. I think i got lucky but like i said i wasn't as worried as everyone else was.

thanks guys for the ideas