Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

I Sucked Up The Sea In My Cai

Old 06-01-2007 | 04:29 AM

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

well tonight at work I pulled a good one. backing out of the shop cause of massive thunderstorms in the area we have water the runs up the street by my job cause of bad drainage. anyways, I had the car in neutral rolling back into the street, idling only, when i hit the water. it ended up being roughly 7 inches deep and I forgot about my CAI.
Immediately the car died and i knew exactly what happened. I didn't try to start the car up afterwards at all but when i pulled the CAI from my TB I had water sitting in front of the butterfly. took a air hose and blew out the CAI, blew out the rubber hose that hooks up the CAI to the TB (forget the name of it), opened up the TB and tried to blow it out the best i could. took out the plugs and blew out all the holes. checked oil from the dipstick and no signs of water. also removed the spark plugs and tried to blow out the holes, yeah right.

this is what i plan on doing:

oil change
taking off the head and inspecting pistons
take off IM and blow that completely out.
new spark plugs even though they don't look bad

if you are looking left to right at the spark plug holes from in front of the car:
#1 cylinder had water drops
#2 none
#3 cylinder had water drops
#4 none

not for sure if its 1,2,3,4 L to R or 4,3,2,1 L to R . let me know on this also, gonna label the wires ( i did as i took the plugs out L to R 1,2,3,4.

anything else i could possibly do will certainly help guys. my mechanic friend at work was telling me all the worse case scenarios and truthfully i feel confident in one way cause of how quickly it died but the other half is thinking new engine. anything additive wise or flushout stuff I will buy today.

thank you for your input, i'm in for a long weekend.
Old 06-01-2007 | 08:22 AM

Man that sucks, I hope everything goes well and it doesn't cost too much to fix. Everytime it rains I am SO paranoid about this subject.
Old 06-01-2007 | 08:48 AM
DTN

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Pull the spark plugs and crank the engine for a few minutes. this will allow it to draw in the air from the intake, shoot out the water, and generally get things on the right track again quickly. You shouldn't have too much problem. You might need new spark plugs. You'll need to change the oil.

It's 1234.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Hydro-locking is a temporary thing. The water will eventually run down into the oil between the gaps in the piston rings and stop blocking their movement. The rest of the water will be vaporized once you get the car running agian.
Old 06-01-2007 | 09:39 AM

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

yeah i figured as much. everyone else was freaking out, i just went back to work,lol.

thanks for the piston info DTN, I guess every manufacturer is different, from what i have been told.
Old 06-01-2007 | 01:31 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

and people laughed when I installed a bypass. I have it still if you want to buy it... smile.gif Hopefully everything works out for you. I think if you do like nakedman says you will be good. wink1.gif
Old 06-01-2007 | 02:19 PM
DTN

Oh yeah... crank it like once every minute or so to pressurize the pistons and force the water out into the oil. It might not crank much, but it will crank some as the water is forced out.

I hydro-locked my engine with some sea-foam once. It took a while before it finally cleared out. i'm sure yours is worse but mine took 10 minutes.
Old 06-01-2007 | 02:55 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Kawasaki ZX6R

I had the same problem about a month ago, except I was stuck in 2 feet of water(long story, search with my name if you wanna read).

Any way do what dtn said. Pull the plugs out and unplug your fuel pump. It's located under the rear seat in the center under a plastic piece, just pry that up. Unplug both wires there. If you don't you will keep spitting fuel out with the water and never know when it drys out. Now I had to have my moms van hooked up to the battery the whole time cause turning over the engine killed the battery lol. Just keep a towel over the plugs and move it every few cranks. this way it soaks up more water and you can tell when it isnt spitting anymore out.

Once you think you have enough of the water out you can plug the fuel pump back in and put the plugs in. It isnt gonna start on its own, you'll have to give it a bit of gas while its trying to start. It isn't going to idle either, you'll have to give it a bit of gas to keep it running. It's gonna run like crap for the next day or two as well. Some suggestions after getting it running are to put some engine cleaner in there incase some dirt got in the cylinders when you have the plugs out.

Mine still drives strong and no damage has come.
Old 06-01-2007 | 03:26 PM
DTN

yeah, engine cleaner, like seafoam, but be careful not to pour too fast or you'll defeat the whole purpose.
Old 06-01-2007 | 03:33 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Kawasaki ZX6R

^^^ I don't understand, make me a DIY lol joke.gif
Old 06-01-2007 | 04:00 PM
DTN

QUOTE (DrivingTibNaked @ Feb 16 2007, 11:00 PM)

1. PCV pour down the hose. Good idea to keep this line clean. Great vacuum line.

2. Throttle Body intake. Can hit butterfly valve, as well as throttle body.

4. Idle air bypass hose. Disconnect from Y Pipe, and pour down hose to clean the IAC solenoid, also provides a large path to get seafoam into engine.

3. Idle air bypass solenoid disconnect hose from engine and pour into idle air controler when car is off. do this last.

Point 1 was moved because if you use the breather rather then the PCV, most of the liquid will just fall into your intake and not get sucked into the engine properly.

on point 3, you actually will go away from the engine. It's just to clean out the IAC.

That quote was from a larger post. Basically, turn on the car, disconnect the hoses one by one and pour seafoam slowly into them. You should relubricate your IAC afterwards with some silicone or another lube of your choice. The TB should be cleaned off with the seafoam spray, or you can put some seafoam liquid into a spray bottle and hit it.

btw... that IS NOT my engine. laugh.gif I'd be embarissed if it were.