Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

I Found Out Why My Transaxle Was Making Noise.

Old 11-04-2008 | 07:52 AM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

I think it was related to the needle bearings I found in the pan last night. That, or the gears with little nicks in most of them. That, or the little welded-on tab that was busted off and missing in there somewhere.

I never did anything to the transaxle but the occasional fluid change. It was dying all on its own. Nice, eh?

Pics when I get my work camera to the house.
Old 11-06-2008 | 07:56 AM
Super Moderator

I finally got around to snapping some pics. This is as far as I could get into it without knowing how to take an automatic apart.

This little ring is supposed to be welded on, not have little ears snapped off.

This gear is supposed to not have a chip out of it

The ring gear should not have rings on it

Aaaaaand I'm pretty sure these little pieces of needle bearing are just extra parts and won't be ANY trouble.

Wow it looks like I was driving on borrowed time. Thanks God for letting her keep spinning until I could get the conversion done! laugh.gif

In related news, I have a slightly-used automatic transaxle for sale. May need rebuilding.
Old 11-06-2008 | 12:24 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

your work always amazes me. you should work for pininfarina where they look at each engine under a microscope to check for any flaws before it gets approved for assembly.

interesting. i see a little girnd mark on the gear there. i like your little pointer, but couldn't it have been a woman's hand, c'mon! wink1.gif
Old 11-06-2008 | 01:05 PM
Super Moderator

lmao.gif bit of an exaggeration, that! Still, thanks. I'm working on an engineering degree but since I should have done it 14 years ago my schedule (family/job/cars/life) doesn't allow much time for classwork. I just wanted to be sure for myself that the noise was in the transaxle, so I put off folding laundry one more night and broke out the wrenches. The noise has gone since the conversion, and the torn-up gears and busted bearings pretty much confirm it eh.

The hand is a pre-fab .psd file that we use sometimes at work to point stuff out in our ads. It's the IT guy's meathook. Feel free to send me a d3ad s3xY woman's hand on a layer by itself and maybe I'll start using that! wink1.gif