Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

i also have a TB question...

Old 03-19-2002 | 12:32 AM

Default i also have a TB question...

Ok... what's the deal w/ dual or quad throttle bodies?

i've been thinking about doing a dual TB set up, but am not sure about all the labor it's going to involve. I've seen quad TB hondas, so i'm sure it'd be possible to go that route too...

Does anyone know of anyone who's done a mod like this? What all does it involve? What kind of improvements can be gained?

Thanks peeps....
Old 03-19-2002 | 12:52 AM

The general thought on this is that more than one throttle body is a Race Only set-up. If your car will only be driven on the track for short durations then go for it. You will have to scrap your stock engine management for something else among many other very expensive conversions. From what I understand the power is awsome but the headaches are worse. I know that this is vague but I can't quote the stats on it.
Old 03-20-2002 | 01:35 AM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

The problem with ultra large TB's or multiple TB's is that air flow metering at small TB angles is very hard. As you increase the size of the TB butterfly, or add 2 of them, what would normally be a 54mm opening cracked 1/8 of an inch is now a say 65mm opening cracked 1/8 of an inch, or 2 54mm openings cracked 1/8 of an inch. This means that the engine accelerates MUCH better at slight throttle applications. This makes the car a BITCH to drive on the street. On the race track, you are only after max air flow, so ultra large TB's or multiple TB's are a good thing.

It would be hard to fabricate this yourself, and expensive to have it fabricated for you. Unless you were building an all out N/A race motor, I would not reccomend it.

If your heart is set on it, contact david at RPW. I think they have done this kind of mod before, and he may be able to provide some valuable assistance.