Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

How good are Remus Mufflers

Old 05-29-2002 | 01:40 AM

Default How good are Remus Mufflers

My muffler broke a few days ago and it was to expensive to get a muffler mailed from the US. So I had to get a muffler locally. I went to a shop where I know the owner, and he offerd me to copy a Remus Muffler a guy had in his Civic.
Now the exhaust sound is very quiet, but I have the feeling the engine revs smoother and like more freely. I'm happy right now as I'm going to put my K&N on saturday and I like more the admission sound than exhaust sound.
Have you had any experiences or know this brand of muffler? (The model they copied for me is a 3 chamber but the pipes inside have bigger holes (and a lot, lot more than a regular sillencer).
Old 05-29-2002 | 09:43 AM

I almost bought a remus exhaust a while back but it was about $500 so i said forget it. But i think they are nice mufflers, although in the end it only matters what you think.

P.S. How's the weather down there??
Old 05-29-2002 | 10:20 AM

Yeah, I heard they were expensive, but the point is I didn't know if they were worth the price, and I wanted to know if there were many types. The one I copied mine from, was the old, teared apart muffler from a guy who had it in his Civic (for the displacement and # of cyl. I thought for an Elantra would be adequate). It's practically as quiet as a factory muffler, but ot really seems to let the engine breath better.

By the way, weather here in Lima varies from 52°F to 78°F, but humidity is above 90% all the time, so termic sensation is more like if temperatures were 40 to 85
Old 05-29-2002 | 10:26 AM

Well lets see. Yes the are expensive. Are they worth the price..no. A universal Remus is just like any other universal out there. And yes they are extremely quite. That's why there are 3 chambers in it. You will see most european cars with a Remus on them. A lot of bimmer owners use them. But those are cat-backs. You get a good gain out of them. A universal one is just like any other muffler out there. It will help a little but it's not gonna make it great. That's about all I can say about them. A muffler is a muffler anymore. One with chambers is more likely to do nothing than a straight through design. Get something straight through.