Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

How to get colder air from your aftermarket Intake

Old 08-07-2001 | 03:14 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

Originally posted by xtremepc:
that is 90 degree pcv pipe that the air filter conects to under the fender well.

Oh no...not that. I meant that thing that looks like some kind of shield covering the actual filter part. Is that part of the engine bay, or is it some kind of shield? It kind of looks like it's connected to the piping because there's a connector connecting it to the pipe.
Old 08-07-2001 | 03:19 PM

Ok i see what you are talking about thats just the engine bay a little refection on it
Old 08-07-2001 | 04:54 PM

Can somone explain to me what the MAFS is??
Old 08-08-2001 | 12:58 AM

Max Air Flow Sensor I believe. Too bad I don't know how to explain it hehehe...
Old 08-08-2001 | 07:09 AM

Close. MASS Air Flow Sensor.
Used by the computer to measure how much air is coming in through the intake.

I believe that this value is (at least in part) used as a comparison against the exhaust oxygen sensor readings to determine how rich or lean the engine is running. Don't quote me on that part, though.
Old 08-08-2001 | 07:16 AM

Secondary question upon further review of the CAI photo above...

Is there room beneath the fuse box to run the CAI out into the fender, instead of twisting around to go around the battery? I like the design you have there; it's certainly more sly and potentially "straighter" than most other CAIs that head down towards the transmission. I'm just trying to find the straightest path.

To move even more into tangental material...I peeked into the engine bay of a '98 VW Jetta Wolfsburg the other week. After I got my bearings, I noticed that THEY draw intake air from the top of the engine bay, just below the driver's side area of the windshield. It makes me wonder if a similar design could be done by we Hyundais...instead of going forward and down to the front of the engine bay to get cold air, why not go up and back?

Just a thought to mull over.
Old 08-08-2001 | 07:36 AM

Close. MASS Air Flow Sensor.
Used by the computer to measure how much air is coming in through the intake.

Hehe...I was damn close though...
Old 08-08-2001 | 07:56 AM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Mass Air Flow Sensor.

It measures the density or "weight" of the air going into the engine. It does this with the help of the IAT (Inake Air Temp Sensor).

By knowing the Tempature of the intake air, the MAF can calculate air density and volume. The MAF has a thin plastic film with a heated wire going through it. It tries to keep that wire at 150 F. The hard it has to work to keep that wire at 150, the more air is going past, or the colder the air is that is going past. By knowing the temp of the intake air (IAT), it makes the correct calculation.

Thus if you mess with the IAT, you are messing with the MAF. This is why it is CRITICAL that you put your IAT in the intake air stream. If you just leave it sitting in your engine bay, and have a CAI, it will register very high temps. Thus the MAF will actually have a moderate amount of cool air flowing over it, but will register it as an large ammount of High temp air flowing over it...it will tell the ECU to dump more fuel...which you don't need...which will lower your power rating. To a certian extent, the O2 sensor reporting lean will force the ECU to lean the fuel back out...but at full throttle...the O2 sensor is ignored.

The moral of the story? Put the IAT where it belongs..in the intake air stream.
Old 08-08-2001 | 08:04 AM

Mass Air Flow Sensor.
It measures the density or "weight" of the air going into the engine. It does this with the help of the IAT (Inake Air Temp Sensor).

By knowing the Tempature of the intake air, the MAF can calculate air density and volume. The MAF has a thin plastic film with a heated wire going through it. It tries to keep that wire at 150 F. The hard it has to work to keep that wire at 150, the more air is going past, or the colder the air is that is going past. By knowing the temp of the intake air (IAT), it makes the correct calculation. *snip the rest*

*Ahem* Ya...I knew that... rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif
Old 08-09-2001 | 01:36 AM

Hey xtremepc, maybe you expend a lot of money in that CAI of a Civic but I only use 25 bucks and looks similar to your the only difference is the chrome details. My materials are one PVC elbow, 2 feet of PVC tube and two flexible conectors with clamps. There was an expensive piece that I buy and that is an AEM bypass valve that help me protect my engine of unwanted water coming into it.
smile.gif

[ August 09, 2001: Message edited by: Noel ]
smile.gif

[ August 09, 2001: Message edited by: Noel ]