Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Hope this fits the board!

Old 06-08-2002 | 12:28 PM

Vehicle: Lancer Evo IX

The new skills aresnow tyres are needed)

1.Left-braking into corners, which when the acclerator and brake pedals are worked against each other, will cause less upset to the suspension's balance and make more tractive potential avalible.
2.Becoming familiar with the concept and principle of drift, and well as its application. Learning to turn into the corner earlier and to countersteer, evening out the vehicle's travel path and direction of travel.
3.Learning to feel the suspension, and it's limits.
4.Looking for traction, which part of the road has the most potential traction?
5.Feel of the brakes and tyres. You're using FWD, which overloads the FRONT tyres very quickly. Whatever you do besides tweaking corners with the handbrake will eat away at avalible traction at the front wheels where the directional-change occurs, so develop a feeling for this, the most dangerous situation is when you're on the brakes, totally locked up and still going STRAIGHT into trouble. Learn to brake earlier to scrub off speed, and then devote all avalible traction to changing course. Practice in a deserted area with a few cones,preferrably if the area is full of patches of "black ice", once you get the hang of it both you and your girlfriend will be much safer as you will know what to do, and not "freeze up". We don't have snow where we are, so boss made a simulation for us. He did it by finding a part of road with many corners in a construction site, that was to be demolished the next day, sprayed it with water and then soaked the road surface with diesel fuel. Lots of fun!!!

Just be careful when you start practicing, go SLOW AND WEAR A HELMET!!!A 5-point harness is also reccommended. wink
Old 06-08-2002 | 02:53 PM

9o7Tib7o9, i can offer you some advice first hand.... i have a '97 tib 5-speed and i totally recommend this set-up.....

17" rims (lightest ones possible)
Intrax lowering springs
KYB GS-2 struts

As far as handling goes, this setup is a dream. It is a little rough, but the dampening from the KYB complements the Intrax's springs so well, the handling is impecible.

As far as high-speed stability is concerned, you may need some aero dynamic help. Wings West makes a lip kit (urethane, lifetime warranty) called the "W TYPE" which i have. I also have an adj. dual stack GTR wing in the rear (which i adj. to the most least aggressive angle of attack). All exaggerations aside, i can wrestle my speed gov. (125mph) and feel just a solid as driving 60 mph. The kit and suspension really help and as far as i'm concerned, my top end stablility is incredible!! The Eibach kit w/ dampeners combo (check Sharkracing) is also a good snatch as the spring rates and dampener settings were tuned for each other but the Intrax/KYB is a good combo too. Tire Rack has a VERY good price of $50 for front and $47 for rear. I recommend this!!

If you want to see my set up go here.....
My Tib

Don't mind the mumbo jumbo on the right hand side... i don't have the eibach springs anymore and i didn't get a swap (i just wanted to confuse some other friends w/ tibbies (2.0l) 'cause they know mine isn't an FX eventhough i spanked'em. hehe.

Rich.
Old 06-08-2002 | 04:13 PM

Well when my 2kElantra WAS stock I took it all the way up to the speed governor (125MPH) without any floaty feeling... I had the 14" alloys (stock) and some big ol tires.

Now I got almost a 2" drop and I got 16" chromes. Really stiffened the ride. I like it a lot and it handles much much better. Hope this helps. L8rz.