Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Hope this fits the board!

Old 06-07-2002 | 08:01 PM

Default Hope this fits the board!

I wasn't quite sure WHERE to post this, because there isn't really a HANDLING area, hopefully I won't get yelled at for putting this here, but anyway I have a story and need a solution smile.gif
The Story: Ok about an hour ago me and my girlfriend set out to a piece of strip out on a highway turnoff that we alaskans are using until our regular strip is fixed (Oh yes the city is REPAVING our strip)Anyway along the highway, I gotta say one thing, my little Tibby was feeling like it was floating, however comfortable it was, this left my car in a drifting motion, this kind of made me uneasy, being in two accidents myself. I would like to know how I could make the swirviness at high speeds (80+ is when it started swirving) now as soon as I hit the 100+ mark WOOO! I thought I was gonna just fly away. I would appreciate any help, thankee!
Old 06-07-2002 | 08:35 PM

Alright, well HANDLING is considered suspension.

But, eh, I wont yell at you. You are not asking a stupid question.

Floating is usually a problem with tires. 2.0L automatic? 2001? My guess is you got 14inchers. with the hubcaps..

I would say go with a nice 16inch rim. Also some lower springs will help the sitffen the ride.

That should fix the floating feeling.

I have a 2000, and I have the alloy wheels and stock suspension and I dont have a floating problem.

If you go with the 16inch rims, you will end up buying new tires. so whil you are doing that, get 205 or 215 width tires. Stocks is like 185 or 195.
Also make sure the rim can handle that width tire. And you should be all set.
Old 06-07-2002 | 09:17 PM

Vehicle: Lancer Evo IX

Alright man, there's 2 ways to beta this, one is to spend a load of cash on suspension tuning and snow tyres, the other way is free, and involves only learning new skills. Whats it going to be...?
Old 06-08-2002 | 05:48 AM

Vehicle: na

my 2001 doesn't flow even at 200km/hr

mine are stock 15" with stock tires.

you are talking about going straight right? well weight can certainly release the floating feel... maybe your girlfriend is too light

you can also stuff more things in your trunk!
Old 06-08-2002 | 05:58 AM

Yeah, I am assuming he has the crappy 14inch hubcaps.

If he does not...mmm...not sure...16s would help.

I would not go 17 thou...to much of a rough ride up there. Your girlie will be to sore between the legs to do anything.
Old 06-08-2002 | 06:25 AM

changing rims and tires will help with this problem!

I have factory tibb wheels on my accent with 195/50/15 on them! This was a great addition from the stock 13s I had! Lowering the car just 1 or 2 inchs will help also! Mine is about 2"

I would never of tried 100mph in my car!! When I got up to 80 it was scary enough! Now I have no problems at high speed she really fells like she is stuck to the road!
Old 06-08-2002 | 06:36 AM

nah i have the stock alloy 15 inchers, I havent changed anything on the external area of my car besides full exhaust work.

17's too rough? that bites, I was planning on doing 17's. I think maybe I'll still stick with that plan, but I'll probably just go the long way home instead, because basically I only take one bad road, and that's the shortcut thats like only around 2 minutes long to get to my house, saves me like 5 minutes, big whoop smile.gif

Yeh my girlfriend is around half my weight, 202 - 104, haha maybe I should have her hold some weights or somethin ;P

Hmmmm what would the new skills be? I could do both, that way I would never be endangering my or my passengers life smile.gif I don't like doing that, it's happened too many times! Thanks.
Old 06-08-2002 | 07:41 AM

Then get some nice Eibach Pro Springs.
They will keep the bounce down.

I have the stockl 15alloys and I dont feel any floating. mmm, maybe a little but it does not bother me. and I have been up to 120mph.
Old 06-08-2002 | 08:02 AM

Sounds easy enough, so which do you think would suit me best, Coil-Overs or just get the Eibach Lowering Springs?
Old 06-08-2002 | 08:57 AM

coil-overs if got the cash and do like auto cross or race, and like adjust the car for specific course turns, so you end up adjusting them every new course.

I would say get the eibach pro springs, cost ya liek $200 said and down

coilovers are over $600++