Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Holding Clutch Pedal

Old 06-02-2005, 02:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

QUOTE (homey14h @ Jun 2 2005, 01:07 PM)
i do that too, i hate if someone moves my car and they leave it in 1st or Rev and i dont notice and start then stall lol. as for me i throw it in neutral whenever im coasting to a stop then drop it in whatever gear needed if im not stopping any more

lol.gif and as far as parking on a hill...well i don't do that so i'm good to go wink1.gif no one else does this or has heard of this before? i find that odd because most people i talk to that drive manuals do the same thing.
Old 06-02-2005, 02:52 PM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

I'd agree with Random, it's common knowledge.

I know if you have an aftermarket clutch (heavy duty) it is Highly Advised not to ride the clutch at idle because it will greatly increase the wear and tear due to pressure.

my .02 =

If left foot is extremely tired:
When at a stop light (hill or not) have the car in neutral and foot on brake pedal. When light turns green, depress clutch, shift, and drive.
*When I'm approaching a red light I use engine braking somewhat and foot brake and just before car dies in high gear I shift to neutral and glide to stop using foot brake, that way I'm in neutral when I stop*

For better "reaction time"

Have car in 1st at red light and left foot on clutch and right foot on brake (or PULL e-brake WITH YOUR HAND NOT YOUR RIGHT FOOT *idiots* if you trust it).

Aftermarket clutch/pressure plate = NEVER ride the clutch.
Old 06-02-2005, 04:44 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

QUOTE (Patreezy @ Jun 2 2005, 02:52 PM)
Have car in 1st at red light and left foot on clutch and right foot on brake (or e-brake if you trust it).

WTF? How the HELL do you get your right foot on the ebrake????
Old 06-02-2005, 05:26 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

^^ Yeah that is pretty amazing... you'd make a great gymnast. Olympic trials for you... lol.gif
Old 06-03-2005, 08:35 PM

as an aside.. they teach the Police in the UK to ALWAYS leave the car in gear and the clutch in when sitting at a light.. this is for safety. If somebody is going to rear end you, (Provided you are paying attention) it is easier to just sidestep the clutch and floor it to get out of the way.
Old 06-03-2005, 08:58 PM

It's certainly quicker to always push on the clutch pedal and release it when needed. However, like outlined in this thread, it is NOT a good thing to do if you care about your transmission/engine.

Where long term durability of the car is unimportant (ie, police, where safety/quick reaction is obviously more important than engine/transmission life), then it doesn't matter if you ride the clutch pedal or not.
Old 06-06-2005, 08:50 AM

Vehicle: Elantra HD / 2007

Thanx for all feedback!

Usualy I brake (pedal+engine) then when almost stop I put in neutral.
I put in first gear and hold clutch when I see that traffic lights for pedastrians turned red, so I know that in few sec it will be green for me.

QUOTE (RedShark @ Jun 2 2005, 06:18 PM)
i've also heard you never start a car in gear either...i always leave my car in neutral with the ebrake on and start it in neutral. i don't know if this is true, but i do it anyway. it's habit now.

Tib with manual tranny will start on any gear, you just need to press clutch and it doesn't matter if you use or don't use e-brake.
Old 06-06-2005, 02:03 PM

yeah i know it will start in any gear, but i've always heard it was better and less strain to start it in neutral. :unsure: i do that now anyway so i hope it's better. if not, it's not bad. lol. tongue.gif
Old 06-06-2005, 02:43 PM

Vehicle: Elantra HD / 2007

^^^
I suppose it doesn't matter in what gear do you start your car as soon as you press clutch. Cause when you press clutch you disconnect engine from tranny.
Old 06-06-2005, 02:53 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I always have my car in gear it shut it off and go to where ever im going. I have had my car start to roll on the slightest of inclines with just the e-brake on. I don't think it is a bad thing but even if it is i dont really want my car rolling down my hill to the main road