Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Holding Clutch Pedal

Old 06-02-2005, 03:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Elantra HD / 2007

Is it ok to hold clutch pedal when gear is on for some time.
For example when you are standing at traffic light - put on 1st gear and wait.?

I heard that clutch disk is wearing out faster if to do so.
Old 06-02-2005, 07:53 AM

It is my understanding that it's always a good idea to put the transmission in neutral when you need to let the car idle for some time, versus holding pressing on the clutch pedal. However, it's not for the clutch that we should do so, but for the crank.

When you press on the clutch pedal, the crank is actually pushed at the opposite side of the transmission, putting a lot of stress on the bearings and trust washers. It is not TOO bad with a stock pressure plate, but you wouldn't want to hold the clutch pedal down for a long time and often with an updraded pressure plate.

I guess that you can also wear the pressure plate and the clutch disk too when pressing too long/too often on the clutch pedal (when not actually shifting).

Either way, I always thought that it's a good habit NOT to press on the clutch to idle when you know you'll be idling for more than ~2-3 seconds, and it's not like it's something hard to do.
Old 06-02-2005, 08:29 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Acura TL

Well put Agarwal, Dmitry, it's really not a good idea to "ride" the clutch, with what Agarwal said you also do put more wear on the clutch and it's components.
Old 06-02-2005, 08:51 AM

Vehicle: 2006 Hyundai Sonata GL V6

What Dmitry is talking about is not 'riding' the clutch. Riding the clutch is when you are driving with your foot resting on the clutch pedal. Some people ride the brakes too. I agree with what Agarwal is saying but at the same time it's not the best idea when driving to put the car into neutral and take your foot off the clutch. If you need to react to something quickly that is happening, the second or two it takes you to depress the clutch and put the car in gear could involve you in something you could have otherwise avoided.

Generally the only time I will take it out of gear and remove my foot from the clutch is when I have been driving in heavy traffic for an extended period of time and I want to rest my leg a little bit. I am still on my original clutch after 150,000 kms so I don't think it has much bearing on the wear of the clutch disc or pressure plate.
Old 06-02-2005, 09:18 AM

yeah when i'm sitting at stop light or something similiar i always put it in neutral simply for the fact of pressing it in is stupid when your simply sitting there and your leg gets tired after awhile. lol.gif tongue.gif i've also heard you never start a car in gear either...i always leave my car in neutral with the ebrake on and start it in neutral. i don't know if this is true, but i do it anyway. it's habit now.
Old 06-02-2005, 10:46 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

^^ Never start in gear? Thats odd... I'll laugh one day when you park on a hill and your e-brake fades and you roll into traffic somewhwere. lol.gif

Holding the clutch in during traffic puts, as they said, pressure on the crankshaft, and also puts pressure on the throwout bearing... Which is a cheap fix, but can involve some labor.

In short, If your going to be sitting in traffic for less than a minute or two (stoplights for instance) it won't matter. If your in bottleneck traffic and your not going anywhere for 10 mins+, thats when I would worry about plopping it in neutral.
Old 06-02-2005, 11:04 AM

throwout bearing isnt a cheap fix, its 86 bux from hyundai, and takes about 4 hours to change
Old 06-02-2005, 11:07 AM

QUOTE (RedShark @ Jun 2 2005, 09:18 AM)
yeah when i'm sitting at stop light or something similiar i always put it in neutral simply for the fact of pressing it in is stupid when your simply sitting there and your leg gets tired after awhile. lol.gif tongue.gif i've also heard you never start a car in gear either...i always leave my car in neutral with the ebrake on and start it in neutral. i don't know if this is true, but i do it anyway. it's habit now.

i do that too, i hate if someone moves my car and they leave it in 1st or Rev and i dont notice and start then stall lol. as for me i throw it in neutral whenever im coasting to a stop then drop it in whatever gear needed if im not stopping any more
Old 06-02-2005, 12:08 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

When the clutch is depressed, the throwout bearing is being used. Ours is crap, so you should take good care of it.
It costs me $45 from the dealer and goes with the rest of the clutch system. If it needs to be replaced, then you might as well replace everything else while there.
Old 06-02-2005, 12:09 PM

Yes, keeping the clutch pushed in at a stop will put extra stress on the Throwout bearing and the clutch pressure plate.

Shifting the transmission into Neutural, and letting the clutch out will cause less wear/tear and is advised.