Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

High Flow Cat & Placement

Old 06-02-2005, 09:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

the actual catalytic converter is inside of the heat shield, so anytime you see a heat shield you have a catalytic. i have never seen two catalytic converters on our past hyundais. maybe it's just luck.

i'm definitely not cutting that sexy Kspec/Maintec downpipe.

thanks for all of the responses folks. you guys help me direct my confidence and purchase.

on to the next question. the test pipe? does it function the same as a cat? and will it pass emissions? will an O2 Bung need to be welded onto the test pipe? And how much better is the test pipe than the high flow cat?
Old 06-02-2005, 10:00 PM

That looks like a straight pipe to me, not a cat. It certainly looks a lot like the straight pipe I have wink1.gif. I'd go for something like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...sspagename=WDVW

Edit: bah, you edited your post! A test pipe does not function the same as a cat. A test pipe will make your car obnoxiously buzzy. It likely won't pass emissions.
Old 06-02-2005, 10:09 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Cats have titanium and all sorts of cool metals that absorb the bad emissions stuff. A test pipe is just a hollow pipe.
Old 06-02-2005, 10:16 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

nice find a_gut, i was looking at the same ebay seller. that converter looks to be the one i'm looking for however, it appears to be for off road or racing purpose only! what's the deal with that! the other ones i was looking at said the same. why would they be illegal?

hahah... so i hate buzz. i will stay away from test pipes. but aren't test pipes like resonators? i guess resonators give a more throaty sound.
Old 06-03-2005, 07:37 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

I think they have platinum in there because it is a good cataylst to help the reaction between O2 and gas, I think I've heard it somewhere
Old 06-03-2005, 05:57 PM

carsound cats are pretty good ive heard..... and cheaper than $150
Old 06-03-2005, 06:19 PM

The cat in the ebay ad appears to be street legal. It says obd2 compliant except cali. and I would like to know why not in cali!
Old 06-05-2005, 05:49 PM

Yea man i got my catco for $60, form a company in Cali.
Old 06-05-2005, 05:54 PM

Not in Cali because it costs a FORTUNE to get anything certified in california that is does not affect emissions. It could be the best cat in the world, but if you do not have cubic dollars to go through californias stringent testing program, you can't sell it there.

It is not like they test the pipe and go "ok, you can sell it here" They have to actually colllect the emissions that come out of it and weigh them against what is certified stock and against California's allowances. It is a long and demanding test that includes hot starts, cold starts, running for hours on end. It is a mess.

this is why you often see things like "for off-road use only" or "not legal for emissions in California"