Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

High Comp, Cams, Smt6, ...

Old 05-09-2005, 05:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, it's not bolt-on.
I have a modified IM (custom plenum). On the IM, we welded a blank plate with like a 70mm opening then positioned the tb and drilled holes to bolt it. There is also a little wiring modification to make to use the honda tps. As you can see, it is far from bolt-on.

However, I never tried to see if the crv tb would fit the stock IM so it might be a slight case of dremel to fit it
Old 05-09-2005, 06:31 PM

Larry.. if you got pics of your setup.. and any other info.. please start a new topic and post them. There are a lot of people here interested in this. If you can provide a DIY, that would be even better.
Old 05-09-2005, 07:07 PM

Well a complete DIY would include the IM...and I don't think many people will go out and start welding aluminum to cash iron.

Just remember that a honda tb could be fitted, someone has to try it.

As far as pics goes :

Old 05-09-2005, 08:11 PM

QUOTE (LarryMcFly @ May 9 2005, 09:28 PM)
Second, if you install agressive cams, you don't absolutely need a piggyback but you absolutely need some kind of fuel tuning...

^^^
How bad would you need one fuel device? Like you need one to get the max out of the cams (that's reasonable because they are an expensive mod) or you would need it because you have lean running risk?

Noise level of your car will be insane at 13:1. Daily drivability of your car will be quite reduced.

^^^
I didn't know of this before; how much is engine noise related to compression? And noise you mean exhaust noise loudness or internal engine noise?

Finally, about the rev limit on the beta. Yes, theoretically blah blah you can't rev safely over let say 7000rpm....however, I have been at 7000rpm for easily over 80 000km including many track days without anything close to a problem. Someone I know goes to 8000rpm without any problems to.

^^^
Have you dynoed your car with the rev limiter removed? Or your friend that runs into 8000rpm? I mean, I guess to reach 8000 rpm the engine is race prepared and internally balanced; maybe for 7000 you don't need as much internal work, but does it really give you more power? (It's an honest question I am not rying to be sarcastic with it)and I think is related to topic in the way that with aggressive cams you could squize your engine more in the upper rpm range.
Old 05-09-2005, 08:17 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

A Tib probably would barely even run if you didn't have it tuned. Which means stalling out at idle, excessive vibration, etc. Tuning for higher camshafts properly involves a long time on the dyno, not just at WOT, but at partial throttle as well.

Higher compression engines are much louder. We're talking engine noise here, not exhaust. As for the power range, when your auto-Xing like Larry, sometimes having longer gears is more important than the power.
Old 05-09-2005, 09:12 PM

one of the reason diesel engines are so loud and "Clattery" is due to their stratospheric compression ratios. Remember, a diesel uses compression to fire off it's fuel, no spark plugs.. and diesel fuel is LESS explosive than gasoline...
Old 05-09-2005, 09:21 PM

QUOTE (Zman @ May 10 2005, 02:11 AM)
^^^
How bad would you need one fuel device? Like you need one to get the max out of the cams (that's reasonable because they are an expensive mod) or you would need it because you have lean running risk?

Running lean, misfire problems.

I didn't know of this before; how much is engine noise related to compression? And noise you mean exhaust noise loudness or internal engine noise?

Higher compression=bigger explosion, more noise overall (engine and exaust). A cr of 13:1 means that 13 molecules will take the place of one molecule under maximum compression.

Have you dynoed your car with the rev limiter removed? Or your friend that runs into 8000rpm? I mean, I guess to reach 8000 rpm the engine is race prepared and internally balanced; maybe for 7000 you don't need as much internal work, but does it really give you more power? (It's an honest question I am not rying to be sarcastic with it)and I think is related to topic in the way that with aggressive cams you could squize your engine more in the upper rpm range.

I don't run a tib ecu...the 7000rpm is good for me on 1-2-3 not on 4-5, I go to about 6800rpm. The person running 8000rpm has stock internals minus agressive cams. he has a piggyback and his stuff is tuned. He also doesn't use the 8000rpm on every gear. Unfortunately, my car has not visited a dyno yet but should soon. Even if I lose power on the higher rpm range, I still like the extra margin. On a track, before a corner, you would rather stay in high rpm than to shift up.