Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Help, Wires Broke Stuck

Old 04-24-2006, 08:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

Hehe yeah me and some friends have just broken apart the last of the boot and now taking cutips with vasolene trying to pick that debris all out. thanks for the advice!

absolutely not REDZ, these were the stock wires, however, i suspect the mechanic up the street who changed the plugs forgot to grease the plugs up. we found that the wire was bent into the plug because it was jammed into it. the PRD wires haven't gone in yet and haven't been touched at all.

my friend is asking what the spark plug gap is for our cars and he says i can get a bit more performance out of it by changing it a millimeter. what number is the gap?!

also, the firing order is 1234 right? valves left to right are in order 1234 on the engine? because the wire plugs for them are numbered.

T H A N K S boys.
Old 04-24-2006, 09:26 PM

plug gap is 1.0 - 1.1 mm or in inches... 0.039 - 0.043 in

I think the firing order is 1342. as far as I know, there was only ever one four cylinder car with a firing order of 1234 and that was a Ferrari built car that I think had the name of "ASA"

Just so you know, Ferrari is the only car maker to build their engines on a "flat plane" crank that allows a sequential firing order.
Old 04-25-2006, 12:08 AM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

I thought it was 1-4-3-2 ?
Anyway, it shouldn't matter, HKC, the wires should be different lengths, so it's pretty much impossible to put them in the wrong order. Also, this is why you're supposed to do them one at a time..remember that if you ever change plug wires on another car, it's pretty easy on inline 4's, but I would hate to have to do it on a big v8 if I removed all the OEM wires one at a time.
Also, don't let your friend re-gap the plugs. They come pre-gapped to OEM specs, and they should stay that way. Unless you're running nitrous and want to run different plugs where it could help you, otherwise leave them alone!
Old 04-25-2006, 12:18 AM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

woah, woah... I don't want HKC to fawk up again...

HERE IS HOW THE PLUGS NEED TO BE ARRANGED:

looking at the valve cover/head and the spark plug holes (from the front of your engine bay), the one on the far left is ONE, to the right of ONE is TWO, to the right of TWO is THREE, and finally ...on the far right is FOUR

Now for the part everyone screws up...
On the COIL PACKS (the other side of where the wires go) it goes 1-4-3-2. Meaning the coil NEAREST the firewall (driver's seat) is ONE, below that is spark plug wire FOUR, then below that is spark plug wire THREE, and lastly on the coil nearest the radiator is spark plug number ONE.

Two rules people...(REMEBER THESE):
When chagning spark plugs/wires:
-Never pull by the wire
-Remove one spark plug wire/spark plug at a time
Old 04-25-2006, 12:20 AM

guys you're such big help! how much torque for the valve cover again? 4lbs?
Old 04-25-2006, 12:22 AM

Six, but go with four. If you go past what "feels" tight, be ready to get pwned...

and for the spark plugs torque specifications check hmaservice.com/webtech. I've been having trouble with it on my computer. 02.gif
Old 04-25-2006, 12:45 AM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

QUOTE (Patreezy @ Apr 25 2006, 01:18 AM)
woah, woah... I don't want HKC to fawk up again...

word..LOL.

looking at the valve cover/head and the spark plug holes (from the front of your engine bay), the one on the far left is ONE, to the right of ONE is TWO, to the right of TWO is THREE, and finally ...on the far right is FOUR

good catch, so yes HKC, 1-2-3-4 just like you thought .. but after looking at the length of them you should still be able to tell which one goes where. And each one is the same, it's just a thick wire, sooo..

Now for the part everyone screws up...

Who?

On the COIL PACKS (the other side of where the wires go) it goes 1-4-3-2. Meaning the coil NEAREST the firewall (driver's seat) is ONE, below that is spark plug wire FOUR, then below that is spark plug wire THREE, and lastly on the coil nearest the radiator is spark plug number ONE.

AKA firing order, as stated it is 1-4-3-2.

Two rules people...(REMEBER THESE):
When chagning spark plugs/wires:
-Never pull by the wire
-Remove one spark plug wire/spark plug at a time

Anyone reading this, remember those.

Here's what it looks like I believe..
Old 04-25-2006, 12:53 AM

Nevermind, I see your post zoned
Old 04-25-2006, 01:21 AM

you guys ***'in rock you know that! yeah that's exactly what i meant, 1234 then 1432 written. but yeah the length of the wires are also there.

me and my two friends spent 6 hours hammering at the crap. my goodness it was difficult. that polyuraplasmic stuff cracks. the second valve was soo difficult to get because that plastic stuff was wrapped around the bottom. goodness it's 3AM, you guys were a LOT of help here, and our backs hurt!

my friend officially dislikes imports hahaha. why?! we'd thought we had enough when the old valve cover cap didn't fit on the beta 2 valve cover cap. you cannot drive without a cap correct?

wow, i didn't think we'd go through this much trouble just to get a spark plug out and cleaned up. i have to go out and buy new spark plugs tomorrow because we broke one of them. we cleaned everything up however, i would like to know if everything is ok. we vacumed up all the debris, made sure no debris was anywhere and threw the new beta 2 valve cover on with some copper gasket sealant. i hope that when we plug everything back together everything will run as normal.
Old 04-25-2006, 01:23 AM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

QUOTE (REDZMAN @ Apr 24 2006, 07:30 PM)
Yup.

BTW folks, PRD wires come with a tube of Dilectric grease for you.

Naw redz me and swifts PRD wires didnt come with nuthing but a sticker and the wires.. Straight from PRD too...