Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Help!!!! Intake Cam Journal Bolt Emergency!!!!!!

Old 04-03-2005 | 09:32 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Bah you need to get a boyfriend who knows what hes doing. lol.gif
Old 04-04-2005 | 01:39 AM

yea, I went through this. Mine is STILL not 100% but I have had no problems running it the way I am for the last 30thousand miles. I also broke one of the MIDDLE bolts on the cam, not one of the ends.

I am probably going to put a heliarc coil in it this summer. But basically, I noticed that when I put on my Beta2 cover, the bolt I had installed has been loose now for gods know how long.

If not for the fact that you broke one of the end bolts, I would say it is safe to drive for a short time. My italian cars only run THREE bearings on the cams and they have much stronger valve springs, so as long as you do not rev the car to high heaven, it should be alright for a short amount of time.
Old 04-04-2005 | 06:44 PM

QUOTE (tibby01 @ Apr 4 2005, 02:59 AM)
lol...did you search here before you went and tried installing it?

being careful with those journal bolts is the most stressed thing with the 1.8l cam install.

yeah yeah I had the instructions and everything. Hell I couldve done it 10 times over by now. Its just he bought a new torque wrench and didnt realize that when it reaches the torque setting, it makes just a little click, not a big click. LOL Luckily though he figured it out before he broke the others.

so now my car is sitting at the machine shop waiting for the machinist to fix it tomorrow. I told my boyfriend he should have it port and polished while its there, haha.
Old 04-04-2005 | 07:40 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

^ You should tell him that it is always a good idea to TEST a new torque wrench on a nut in a vise before attempting motor work with it rolleyes.gif