Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

headers

Old 09-30-2001 | 08:24 AM

Well I'm back and the ride was interesting to put it mildly.

First, after pulling off I noticed a buzzing coming from my stock muffler, WTF eek.gif . my exhaust consist of a custom 2.5" mid pipe (between cat & muffler) but retains stock mounting points - someone tell me why I get this sound from my muffler please.

Second, after driving a short distance the heat wrap was still smoking (like it's burning). Now the heat wrap is made by Moroso and I followed installation directions to a tee. What I did do differently is apply "Hi Heat Coating" to the heat wrap which is made by Thermo-Tec. Now I got Thermo-Tec heat wrap also but after I had got this Moroso stuff from the local speed shop. The Thermo-Tec Stuff says to wet but not soak before applying but the Moroso brand makes no mention of it or high heat coating either.
So as aresult I have this smoke billowing from under my hood at the stop light and it smell very toxic. It didn't seem as bad on the ride home so we'll see how it does tommorow on the ride to work.

Third, after about one mile of driving my CEL comes on, so I'm making a harness now for the O2 sensor extentions.

I read somewhere that disconecting the battery cable for about an hour or so would reset the ECU, can anyone verify this?

I hope this all works out.

Sorry for the long post but I'm trying to give details so I can get accurate answers/help.
wink.gif
Old 09-30-2001 | 09:06 AM

Originally posted by 2K Wagon:
Well I'm back and the ride was interesting to put it mildly.

First, after pulling off I noticed a buzzing coming from my stock muffler, WTF eek.gif . my exhaust consist of a custom 2.5" mid pipe (between cat & muffler) but retains stock mounting points - someone tell me why I get this sound from my muffler please.

local speed shop. The Thermo-Tec Stuff saysSecond, after driving a short distance the heat wrap was still smoking (like it's burning). Now the heat wrap is made by Moroso and I followed installation directions to a tee. What I did do differently is apply "Hi Heat Coating" to the heat wrap which is made by Thermo-Tec. Now I got Thermo-Tec heat wrap also but after I had got this Moroso stuff from the to wet but not soak before applying but the Moroso brand makes no mention of it or high heat coating either.
So as aresult I have this smoke billowing from under my hood at the stop light and it smell very toxic. It didn't seem as bad on the ride home so we'll see how it does tommorow on the ride to work.

Third, after about one mile of driving my CEL comes on, so I'm making a harness now for the O2 sensor extentions.

I read somewhere that disconecting the battery cable for about an hour or so would reset the ECU, can anyone verify this?

I hope this all works out.

Sorry for the long post but I'm trying to give details so I can get accurate answers/help.
wink.gif

you can reset cel by pulling the power connector in the middle of the fuse box but you will lose clock and radio settings
Old 09-30-2001 | 09:08 AM

by the way my muffler(stock)also buzz need new muffler
Old 09-30-2001 | 03:40 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

The high temp spray from Themo-Tec needs to dry/cure before using. I'm not sure if it is compatable with the heat wrap from Moroso. You would have to contact Moroso to find out.

The CEL will get triggered sooner or later (as you found out)

You can reset the CEL by unplugging/disconnecting your battery overnight, or just wait till the o2 sensor situation is figured out and it should go away on it's own.
Old 09-30-2001 | 03:51 PM

what about the first cat that has to be removed when doing a turbo setup? Could that be the reason why my CEL has just came on? By the way, will a Turbo'd car pass emissions(not that it matters I'm in Florida and there are no such checks)? Later
Old 09-30-2001 | 08:07 PM

Thanks guys, The high temp spray dried for about 4 days before the install, I painted the header outside and let it dry for about 4-5 hrs outside and then inside for the next 4 days.
Old 10-01-2001 | 12:02 AM
Super Moderator

Originally posted by HondaEater:
what about the first cat that has to be removed when doing a turbo setup? Could that be the reason why my CEL has just came on? By the way, will a Turbo'd car pass emissions(not that it matters I'm in Florida and there are no such checks)? Later

No, the CEL will not be triggered by a cat removal as long the first o2 sensor is before the cat and the second o2 sensor is after the cat. BTW...you are in Flordia...you should only have one cat.
Old 10-01-2001 | 04:00 AM
Super Moderator

Originally posted by 2K Wagon:
Thanks guys, The high temp spray dried for about 4 days before the install, I painted the header outside and let it dry for about 4-5 hrs outside and then inside for the next 4 days.

Then what the heck was smokin?
Old 10-01-2001 | 06:44 AM

What was smokin was the heat wrap/header. I figure it could be one of two things:

1) I sprayed too much coating on because as I was spraying it it looked as though it awas not coating very well, had only a light black color.

2) The heat wrap and spray coating are not compatible with each other. The moroso heat wrap is pure white in color and the Thermo-Tec is more of a golden tan in color.

After the drive to work and back home the smoke is pretty much gone but you can smell it a little when you open the hood.

Oh well I'm on my way out side to extend O2 sensor #1.
Old 10-01-2001 | 06:57 AM

BTW...you are in Flordia...you should only have one cat.

I live in Flordia and I have one cat right after the extractors and then I'm 99% sure there is another one about half-way through the exhaust piping underneath the middle of the car. It looks exactly like the cat right after the extractors so I'm assuming that it is one.

-Hans