Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

headers

Old 09-27-2001 | 11:29 PM

Vehicle: Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart GSR

I have the 4-2-1 headers. I had an aftermarket exhaust fitted at the same time and the shop just welded in another piece of pipe to make up for the 4" gap.

I don't have a cat, in fact I'm getting much better mileage with the new setup.
Old 09-27-2001 | 11:31 PM

Originally posted by Iago:
Bored/port/polish - affects intake, and helps your car to "inhale" better.
Pro - more power
Pro - will make future mods perform better, regardless of what your "plan" is or if it changes
Con - need to be sure it's done by someone who knows what they're doing (Onpol)
Con - will probably also need to get a larger throttle body to fully reap the benefits

Headers - affect exhaust, and help your car to "exhale" better
Pro - power output at high RPM improves
Pro - heat retention on high-quality headers is better than stock
Con - low end torque is sacrificed
Con - you'd better be sure you're going to keep your car N/A for a while; those headers will be useless if your engine plan changes and you want to go turbo

There are other pros and cons as well that I'm sure other people will post; this is just a quick overview.

Whats N/A mean?
tongue.gif
Old 09-28-2001 | 12:46 AM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Originally posted by Elantra151:
what difference is there between the 4-1 & the 4-2-1 headers

i know that when i change the headers and put a high flow cat it will change the sound correct. what i want to know is will it be totaly different

The 4-1 Headers give more HP on the top end, but sacrafice some low down Torque.

4-2-1 Headers have better midrange, and a little less up top HP.

4-1 are reccomended for 5-Speeds
4-2-1 are reccomended for Automatics

Yes the headers will dramatically change the sound of your car. The exhaust pulses will ahve more speed and power, and so your exhaust will be louder
Old 09-28-2001 | 12:50 AM
Super Moderator

Originally posted by Elantra151:
bored port polish vs aftermarket headers

what is the difference between the two. pros/cons

Pros of Headers. Good HP gains for little money.
Cons Need a full exhaust system to get the gains, which adds $$$

Pros of Port and Polish. More HP and Torque, and usually smoother running engine a all RPM ranges
Cons, Expensive, if done wrong can RUIN your engine/Head, or if done wrong can LOWER HP levels. Car down while head is removed ($$$) and then re-installed.

usually, you will see more gains with headers and full exhaust than you will with a port and polish. Also, Porting and polishing on a stock exhaust system does not make sense. You need the aftermarket exhaust to allow the modified head to breath easier. Port and Polish should be one of the LAST mods, after Intake, Bored TB, Bored Intake Manifold, Headers and exhaust.
Old 09-28-2001 | 12:58 AM
Super Moderator

Originally posted by WhoopOi:

Whats N/A mean?
tongue.gif

N/A means Normally Aspirated. Non-Turbo, Non-supercharged.
Old 09-29-2001 | 01:59 AM

What about the CEL? Anyone who has put on the header and not reinstalled the o2 sensor(s) or didn't reinstall the catsid your CEL come on?
Old 09-29-2001 | 04:50 AM
Super Moderator

In theory, your CEL should come on if you do not have a cat, or if the 1st and 2nd 02 sensors are placed together before or after a cat.
Old 09-29-2001 | 03:34 PM

Originally posted by 2K Wagon:
What about the CEL? Anyone who has put on the header and not reinstalled the o2 sensor(s) or didn't reinstall the catsid your CEL come on?

yes my cel did come on with no cat conv with 2 o2 sensors installed had too ext.first 02 about 1 1/2 foot
Old 09-29-2001 | 07:12 PM

hey man it could be worse,... the guy that installed them could HAVE @#$@EN MADE A HOLE ON THE SIDE OF ONE OF THE PIPES ON YOUR DAM 4-1 HEADERS,... $#@%#$%^@#$%^
sorry im going through a difficult time right now with my header install,... please make sure who ever does it is not lazy,... the f*$#head that installed mine drilled a hole on one of the pipes,... so my shark is reading 1/4 of an oxygen flow
people are just to lazy to extend wires
oh well please learn from mistakes
MAKE SURE THEY EXTEND THE SENSOR AND DONT BUY WEAPON R,... dam i have some bad luck with engine mods
arg!
Old 09-30-2001 | 07:22 AM

Well Guys and Gals here's an update. My son and I installed my header today, no problems with the fit to the stock exhaust. The header matched up perfectly.
I started the car and let it idle for about 10 minutes before connecting any O2 sensors and Lo & Behold "NO CEL" WTF? tongue.gif
I still need to extend the wiring to the 1st O2 sensor which will reside in the original position of the 2nd O2 sensor, and then have a muffler shopweld in a bung for the 2nd O2 sensor behind the cat (use to be #2 now only one).
I'm gonna take it for a spin w/ no O2 sensors connected because 1) it's chilly out 2)it's getting dark and 3) I/m too lazy to do it tonight.