Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

headers

Old 09-27-2001 | 05:32 AM

Default headers

I have the headers from SR and they are about 6 to 8 inches too SHORT!!!! My car is in parts whats the deal? WHY are they too short what am i supposed to do here guys???

need response ASAP!!!
Old 09-27-2001 | 06:43 AM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

The headers require a custom exhaust. They do not work with the stock exhaust.

You can have an exahust shop weld up a "extension" to cover the distance, or have a full custom exhaust done to connect to the headers.
Old 09-27-2001 | 07:12 AM

Do the SR headers work with the Kore/MBRP exhausts? Eventually I want to get the new 4-2-1 Race Header and either one of those exhausts (as well as a high flow cat). If I did get these, would it just be a bolt on afair I could do myself, or would I have to take them to a shop and have welding done? It looks like I may have two cats on my car...one right after the headers and then one under the car in the middle of the exhaust piping...

-Hans

[ September 27, 2001: Message edited by: thespitefire ]
Old 09-27-2001 | 07:19 AM

Vehicle: Ex Hyundai Owner

nope not compatible either, you have to remember that the aftermarket exhausts are made to match the stock exhaust in distance, that way anyone can use them, if you get headers than it's something more than stock therefore you have to lose the catalytic and have a piece welded on, or you have to cut up your brand new KORE Exhaust and fit the stock piping with cat...
Old 09-27-2001 | 08:12 AM

Has anyone taht has put on a header just left off one 02 sensor or did you extend them both as I stated in another post?

It sucks to hear about the header not fitting the stock exhaust, I was gonna install mine before the PA meet but know I've got to get an exhaust shop to make me an extension. sad.gif sad.gif
Old 09-27-2001 | 08:35 AM

what difference is there between the 4-1 & the 4-2-1 headers

i know that when i change the headers and put a high flow cat it will change the sound correct. what i want to know is will it be totaly different
Old 09-27-2001 | 03:10 PM

bored port polish vs aftermarket headers

what is the difference between the two. pros/cons
Old 09-27-2001 | 10:42 PM

What do i do for a cat the guy at the shop said it had to go back in the same place? It was where the headers are. He also said my car wont run right with out a cat and needs to be in between the sensors. For emmissions i must have cat.

Why did they have to put the cat in such a wierd place?!
Old 09-27-2001 | 11:21 PM

Originally posted by Elantra151:
bored port polish vs aftermarket headers

what is the difference between the two. pros/cons

Bored/port/polish - affects intake, and helps your car to "inhale" better.
Pro - more power
Pro - will make future mods perform better, regardless of what your "plan" is or if it changes
Con - need to be sure it's done by someone who knows what they're doing (Onpol)
Con - will probably also need to get a larger throttle body to fully reap the benefits

Headers - affect exhaust, and help your car to "exhale" better
Pro - power output at high RPM improves
Pro - heat retention on high-quality headers is better than stock
Con - low end torque is sacrificed
Con - you'd better be sure you're going to keep your car N/A for a while; those headers will be useless if your engine plan changes and you want to go turbo

There are other pros and cons as well that I'm sure other people will post; this is just a quick overview.
Old 09-27-2001 | 11:25 PM

Originally posted by Maximus:
What do i do for a cat the guy at the shop said it had to go back in the same place? It was where the headers are. He also said my car wont run right with out a cat and needs to be in between the sensors. For emmissions i must have cat.

The guy at the shop probably thinks that the cat has to go back into the same location as it was stock because of the length of the wires that run to the O2 sensors. You will probably need to extend one or both of them if the cat needs to be moved drastically downstream. I'm sure there is also a maximum length downstream that the cat can be before it is no longer effective; it needs to be HOT to work, and it won't get the heat it needs if it's too far away from the engine to get scorching exhaust gases. With some effort, the can CAN be relocated, it just sounds like this guy isn't willing to do that work, either because he doesn't know how, or it's more of a risk than he's willing to take.

You car will RUN fine without the cat. Non-street-legal race cars don't have cats. But in order to be street legal and pass emissions tests, you DO need it.