Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Header Install?

Old 05-31-2005, 06:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

I know this topic has been disscussed to death, and I did a search and found no real helpful information, so here it goes.

I bought the OBX, 4-2-1 headers, now what components are to be placed in during install. ie: headers - flex pipe - cat?. I know the headers go on then the flex pipe. Then what? A cat? a resonator? Sorry if this is a really newb question. Just trying to get all these stories straight. And what possibilities are there to install it so there is no CEL?

thanks,
Old 05-31-2005, 07:40 PM

It's been discussed before, but I'll be nice and tell you all about it smile.gif

Take OEM headers and downpipe off. Then install the OBX headers. You might need to remove your passanger side fan and you will definitely need to remove your Power Steering pump. Once the header is in, you put your fan and PS back on. Then install the downpipe/flexpipe that came with the headers. Then attach the downpipe to the stock cat, or if you have a test pipe, take off the the cat and install the test pipe.

If you don't want to have CEL you might have to install a high flow cat right after the header, weld additional o2 bung after the cat, and extend the wires from second o2 sensor.

Feel free to ask anymore questions.

I will do a DIY next time I take off my headers.
Old 06-02-2005, 08:37 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Acura TL

^ Yup. You might need an exhaust shop to help you though. I know that there was no way that I was getting my exhaust off of my cat/downpipe. Too much corrosion.
Old 06-02-2005, 11:06 AM

make it easier on yourself.

loosen the PS pump, but dont remove it. u dont even nee to loosen the PS belt, u can just fit the header past it that way.

also, instead of removing that fan, just unbolt the two top brackets, and pull ur radiator assembly up a bit, it was alot easier for me then removing the fans.
Old 06-02-2005, 09:07 PM

QUOTE (silvertibbs @ Jun 2 2005, 09:37 AM)
^ Yup. You might need an exhaust shop to help you though. I know that there was no way that I was getting my exhaust off of my cat/downpipe. Too much corrosion.

I got a help of a SAW for my rusted exhaust... there was no way in hell I was getting some of the bolts off, so I just cut my exhaust in pieces laugh.gif

Monoxide, there is only 4 bolts on 10mm that are holding the fan. 3 minutes and they are all off.