Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Headder Wrap adding 15hp??? Ya right!

Old 07-21-2002 | 12:09 PM

Default Headder Wrap adding 15hp??? Ya right!

Back me up on this one guys. rolleyes.gif

p.s. Why would you wrap your turbo??? I don't know about you guys but I would rather my turbo stay as cool as possible.
Old 07-21-2002 | 01:52 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Turbos are ceramic coated or wrapped for many reasons.

#1. To keep the heat out of the engine bay.
#2. To keep the heat in the turbo.
The hotter the turbo is, the hotter your EGT's are, or I should say, the hotter they STAY. Hot gas takes up more space than cold gas. (Gas contracts as it cools). By keeping your exhaust gas as hot as possible, you keep it moving as fast as possible. Same reason you heat wrap headers (or ceramic coat them)
#3. To keep the hot side hot and the cool side cool (think Mc DLT here.) By wraping the exhaust and intake side seperately, you are seperating the two as much as possible thermally.

Ceramic coated/heat wrapped turbos spool faster, and yes, can produce more power at a given level of boost due to the turbine staying hot, and not working as hard, and the intake side staying cooler, thus a more dense air charge.

It is perfectly possible that a properly heat wraped turbo assembly would produce more HP than one that was not heat wrapped.

Sorry I couldn't back you up dude. sad.gif

[edit] I just read the whole thread. Sorry, I agree 15 HP for just heat wrapping the stock headers or even aftermarket units is BS. Also, heat wrap will void the warranty of most aftermarket headers, and certianly the stock exhaust manifold. 15 HP on a turbo I could see, no way 15 HP on N/A headers or Stock Exhaust Manifold.
Old 07-22-2002 | 11:45 AM

I always thought you should be aware of overheating your turbo. frown
Old 07-22-2002 | 01:17 PM

Random, I thought heat wrapping aftermarket headers would make them more likely to crack?
Old 07-22-2002 | 02:23 PM

no they won't crack. but corrosion hell yes. I'm gonna heat wrap my header when i install mine. then the intake tube. I'm probally gonna wrap everything except the flex pipe on the header till it's past the eng bay.
Old 07-23-2002 | 12:42 AM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Cottonmouth:
I always thought you should be aware of overheating your turbo.
With a proper cooling system and oiling system, you should have nothing to worry about. Yes, the turbo will retain more heat from high boost operation, making the use of a turbo timer nearly compulsory, but it should not *overheat* the turbo.

AfterShocK:
Random, I thought heat wrapping aftermarket headers would make them more likely to crack?
Yes, it is possible to do damage to poorly made aftermarket headers with heat wrap. That is why I mentioned about it voiding the warranty on aftermarket headers. This is also one of the many reasons ceramic coating is prefered to heat wrap.
Old 07-23-2002 | 02:27 AM

ceramic coating also looks a lot better
Old 07-23-2002 | 09:40 AM

how would the heat wrap make the headers crack or corrode?¿
Old 07-23-2002 | 11:44 AM

4CyLofFuRy:
how would the heat wrap make the headers crack or corrode?¿
Wrapped headers = no heat dissipation(sp). All that heat with no where to go will weaken the metal.
Old 07-23-2002 | 01:30 PM

Also applicable for turbos--heat wrapping or coating helps to lower the temperature gradient across the housing, which alleviates internal stresses in the metal. You can keep it cooler overall using proper cooling & oiling, insulating minimizes the stresses due to uneven heating.