Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Grinding Into 2nd

Old 10-21-2005 | 07:19 PM

Ever since I got my car, it has always ground going into 2nd. I searched and found out that I wasn't the only one with this prob. I tried changing the trans fluid like most of you suggested and it didn't improve anything.
Finally I decided to take my car in to hyundai before my warrenty wore out (it had 59,800 miles). They tore my trans open and replaced my synco like I had suggested them to do (thanks to you guys). They also replaced a couple of the gears that had some wear on them. All for nothing.
Hyundai also inspected the clutch etc. and wanted to charge me over $900 to replace it. My dad got them to lower the price to $260 for a new clutch, pressure plate, flywheel and everything.
So basically I got a new trans for $270. Not a bad deal I think.
Ohh ya I no longer grind when shifting to 2nd no matter what my RPMs are. It's a beautiful thing.
Old 10-21-2005 | 07:23 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

thats great! i put a brand new tranny and clutch in mine a while back when the 3rd gear syncro went out. makes you be a little easier on it afterwards.... cool.gif
Old 10-21-2005 | 07:26 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Grinding = no relation to your clutch. tongue.gif They just wanted your cash since they already had the tranny torn open, but oh well.
Old 10-21-2005 | 07:28 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

yeah but most likely if the tranny's wore out so is the clutch. and might as well replace it when your in there.
Old 10-21-2005 | 07:30 PM

Ya I know i figured they would try to get me to pay for something. My clutch was starting to slip anyway so it was a good time to get it replaced. You could have done your makeup with my flywheel it was so glazed. lol
My point is that it is the syncro that was causing the car to grind, not my shifting or the trans fluid.
Old 10-21-2005 | 07:34 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

LOL in that case, it was probably better you cough up the $260 for the clutch and flywheel since it was opened up.

Wonder who abused your poor Tib, I have no 2nd Gear problems or clutch slipping @ 66K. Hope it wasn't you lol.
Old 10-21-2005 | 07:38 PM

It was the stupid first owner lady who owned the car before me. She neglected the poor car mechanically, not to mention scratching the crap outa the door handle and everywhere else she touched. Another reason why women shouldn't have nice things! jk
Old 10-21-2005 | 09:55 PM

QUOTE (Spanishark @ Oct 21 2005, 08:38 PM)
Another reason why women shouldn't have nice things! jk

No, just cars wink1.gif

But that's a hellava good deal! How did you dad manage to get the price so low?
Old 10-22-2005 | 07:27 AM

Maybe it wasn't such a bad idea to change the clutch, mine died at 50,000 miles and that's because I don't race my car..lol What I would've done if I were you (and I did do this myself) is to buy an aftermarket clutch and flywheel myself and take it to the dealership since they were going to have to get to the tranny anways but I suppose this was short notice so you probably didn't have the time.
Old 10-23-2005 | 07:55 PM

^^^ that's what I wanted to do, but I didn't have the time to wait on parts to come in. Oh well maybe i'll do that the next time I go to replace something in my tranny. lol

I'm not exactly sure how my dad got them to go that low. they charged me the price they pay plus 1 hour for installation. I went through the head hancho the whole time. He was a really cool guy. He said he'd do what he could for me since i'm in college and all. Apparently he did.