Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Grinding During Clutch Engage

Old 10-10-2007, 12:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys, it's been a while since I've been around (a lot of stuff going on lately, sorry!). I've now come across another problem (hopefully not too expensive also) that could push back any other projects and such. mad.gif

I'm not too sure what's going on, or what it could be, I'll try to put as much detail as I can into what's happening. This has been going on for a couple weeks.

So far this is what's been going on. I'll start off in first (my car is a 5-speed), everything is fine. I'll shift to second, everything is grand. I'll shift to third, and everything SEEMS fine, it goes right where it should (on the shifter), stays there, doesn't move or pop out or grind, but as soon as I let the pedal out, and let the clutch start to engage, it grinds extremely bad. It seems like it goes into gear and sets in, but as soon as I let the pedal out and it starts to engage, it grinds like it's not in at all.

I also noticed if I slam it into third, it'll make a metal on metal noise and would be fine when I let the clutch pedal out (it won't work like that anymore). Now if I put it in gear REALLY slowly, I can hear a small amount of grinding, like it's barely touching....almost like teasing.

This problem seems to be going to fourth gear as well, it has done it slightly (grind) when putting it into fourth.

Anyone have any ideas?

The clutch is not slipping at all, if anyone was wondering.

Thanks!
Old 10-10-2007, 04:02 PM

[i got the same problem...but mine grinds/sounds like metal banging when i downshift to 1st except it doesnt pop out,
Old 10-10-2007, 05:38 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

You can't downshift into first in our cars. From what i've heard, there's no synchro. 1st is for getting going. You're grinding the gear.

The metal banging, is probly clutch chatter fuzz. Try out the DIY i just posted and see if it helps. Clutch chatter is caused by a warped clutch.. 02.gif
Old 10-30-2007, 02:45 PM

Hey guys, decided to update this.

Well, I changed the transmission fluid (which was extremely low) and there is still no sign of it helping. Sometimes when I shift to 3rd, it'll go in fine, others it won't go in at all.

If I'm sitting still or just putting it into 3rd extremely slow, (and I'm talking...extremely slow) you'll feel it start to go in then start grinding (and my clutch pedal is completely pressed). It almost feels like it's not pushing into the gear far enough. I'm lost here guys. I need help bad 02.gif .

I tried deglazing the clutch and it didn't really change at all DTN, thanks though.
Old 10-30-2007, 03:19 PM
DTN

Grinding is caused by the clutch not being fully disengaged when you shift. Try shifting slower. Remove the clutch slave cylinder restricter. Bleed the clutch fluid. check to make sure your slave cylinder is tight.

I'm giving you a bunch of ideas rather then just saying your synchros are going out.
Old 10-30-2007, 03:21 PM

Okay I'll have to check the fluid and cylinder. I've tried shift EXTREMELY slow and it still won't go.

Edit: Like I had said, it's ONLY 3rd gear. SOMETIMES if I let the clutch pedal out just to where it starts to hit, then push it all the way down, then let it slowly out again it'll go in (really rough). But that's only sometimes.

If it is my synchro's, is there any price range I could expect to pay?
Old 10-30-2007, 04:56 PM
DTN

^^ Skip 3rd gear. Don't use it anymore. It's going to cost more then $600
Old 10-30-2007, 06:19 PM

Ugh 02.gif , well that kind of sucks. I've been skipping it for over a month now. Lol.

I'm guessing it sounds like a bad synchro? Today I did some more "testing". I noticed if I'm going relatively slow (around 20 m.p.h.) and shift into 3rd, it'll go in much easier. Still not perfect though.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:38 PM

When you changed your trans fluid, did you notice alot of shiny bronze flakes? I don't think it's actually the synchro itself, but the brass blocking rings are what goes out most commonly (which are usually mistaken for synchro's)

Just get a trans from a junked tiburon. It'll cost less probably, and you won't have the hassle of dealing with one of those sleezy transmission shops.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:54 PM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

+1 /\

You can be sure its the syncro if you can double clutch and get it into gear just fine, and if this is the case work on your double clutching ability while you save up for a new trans.