Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Grinding 2nd Gear

Old 08-30-2005 | 05:23 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

I'll take it!
Old 08-30-2005 | 05:26 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

all right ill call up pontiac tomorrow and see if they gots 3 in stock
ill stop buy sat and walk you though it(gotta remove 2 bolts lol)

and back on subject

if it still grinds you can do one of 2 things live with it until the trans blows up like i did

or get a new trans and from the time you get it run redline or gm syncromesh and dont slam gears
Old 08-30-2005 | 06:13 PM

Think I could get the warranty to cover the tranny? My parents had an accent and the same thing happened to third gear and they had it taken care of. Think its worth a shot?
Old 08-30-2005 | 06:16 PM

^^ It's definately worth a shot. When I was in Cali I called the hyundai dealership there and asked them about it, they said it should be covered but I'd need to take it in. Never had the time to, hopefully I'll be taking it in this weekend to get a new tranny fing02.gif
Old 08-31-2005 | 02:53 AM

Definitely synchro's

Had the same problem with my Excel 1.3 after 2 years of abuse laugh.gif

It was even so bad that the grinding happened when I went above 3000+ rpm in first gear. It even happened when switching to 3th

Glad I traded it in for the rd2 nana.gif
Old 08-31-2005 | 05:11 AM

Vehicle: 2008/Hyundai/Tiburon gt

2nd gear synchronizer is wearing out
Old 08-31-2005 | 06:37 AM

There is nothing I can add that has not already been said. It is definatly the Syncros.. I have been through so many transmissions in my fiats it is not funny (5 between three cars) due to Syncro wear.

All I can really recommend.. after you get it fixed and are running redline gear oil (I really recommend!) You really need to take a good hard look at your driving style.

I realise that first runs out really quick do to the short gears our cars have.. but there really is no reason to bump the limiter.. there is no power up there. pulling the shift at 6k in revs would make like easier on the Synros.. You might also want to look at how you shift. Unless you are racing, there is almost NO reason to "bang" the gears repeatedly. Hell, there is barely a reason to take the car to redline on the road (Especially with gas as expensive as it is)

so my advice.. use good high quality fluid, and change how you shift. Pause a heartbeat between first and second.. sort of a 1st, pull to neutral, then pull to second.You are not michael shumacher (he uses paddle shift anyway) and do not need to shift at the speed of light
Old 09-02-2005 | 08:07 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Tiburon

same thing was happening to me but it was because the jackarse at the lube place put the wrong gear oil mad.gif gl-4 is the gear oil for our car. i changed the gear oil and put lucas and havent had a problem sense. i also took my car to a clutch shop while my car was doing this the guy said it was the syncos but no problems for 2 months cool.gif take mad-machine's advice he is correct
Old 09-16-2005 | 12:24 AM

I had the same problem awhile back but i got a new tranny under warranty. I had to get one of my friends to write me a repair order for a syncro and took it to hyundai and they covered the tranny.
Old 09-16-2005 | 01:38 AM

What oil did they put in Silent? If it was rated GL3/GL4/GL5, then it would be fine, no damaging sulpher.

I'm thinking about switching to an 80W-90, it would probably do better when starting the car in the colder months.

If the new fluid doesn't help the grinding, several people have reported success after adjusting the shift cable, so that's worth a shot.