Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Greetings and questions. (Long)

Old 10-10-2001 | 01:42 PM

Default Greetings and questions. (Long)

Hello everyone. I've been lurking for a while and finally decided to join in. I have a 2K Maxima now and the lease is almost up. (anyone want it?-LOADED 5spd) I really like the Elantra GT. I could buy one of them and blow $8000 on it and still come in cheaper than a new Max so I think I will. I like the Alpine turbo kit a lot and I'm handy enough to install it myself but I've got a few concerns. I am lucky enough to have a Haltec dealer just a few miles from my home!! COOL! I suppose I'd just go that route and do it right from the start. Prob #1: No dyno shop! How's the Haltec guy gonna tune me up w/o a dyno in town? Prob #2: Exhaust. Custom cat back might be doable but shops around here will put a foot up my *** if I ask them to do the downpipe even if I retain a cat. Any ideas? Could someone have a duplicate of theirs made for me and I could pay them for their troubles? Prob #3: Traction. I'm sick as heck of spinning my $170 tires! NEED LSD BADLY!! I know Phantom Grip makes sort of one but does Quaife or anybody good? Thank you for all of your help everyone. This is a great place with nice people. smile.gif
Old 10-10-2001 | 02:00 PM

Haltec - Good to know! Would you be adverse to being a middle-man supplier for a few of us?

Traction - Level Ten, in New Jersey, has been guinea pigging some Tiburons. Someone around here (sorry, forgot the name) had an LSD installed, and noted a big improvement. There should be results of a prototype Autostick application within the month. FYI.

Welcome aboard! It sounds like you have a really good plan worked out for where you want to go.
Old 10-10-2001 | 02:17 PM

Vehicle: 2005 MINI Cooper S

Welcome!

Good luck getting the Elantra GT! Those rule, I love those purple gauges.

(Iago, it got cold) sad.gif
Old 10-10-2001 | 03:20 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

You will need a dyno somewhere to tune the Haltec. The best they can do road testing is "guess", unless they are DAMN Good.

The Downpipe is already on the turbo, you just need a full exhaust system. You will need a new high flow cat, plus the full exhaust. You will have to FIND a shop to build you one, as the Elantra has a slightly different/longer exhaust than the tibby.

KAAZ makes a LSD for the Tiburon/Elantra, but I don't know if Hyundai has made any changes in the tranny for 2001/2002 that would cause the KAAZ unit not to fit. It is also about $800-$1000.

When dealing with Alpine, get them to lower the price of the kit by having them NOT include the 5th injector and "uni-chip". As long as you are going to go haltec, have RC-Engeneering make you some 440cc low resitance injectors...they work better with the Haltec.
Old 10-10-2001 | 03:26 PM

Vehicle: Custom Wagon

Originally posted by HyundaiJVX:

(Iago, it got cold) sad.gif

Hey Hyundaijvx it sure did get cold. Welcome to the board.
Old 10-11-2001 | 12:31 PM

Great! Thank you all again. I haven't actually spoken with the Haltec guy yet so I don't know how good this source is but since he is licensed with Haltec then I would imagine he's good. I would be only too happy to help out anyone when I get started and have some useful info to share. Random-you probably get a lot of this but you're awesome! What do you do? Live here? How do you find time for it all? I'm lucky to check in once a day! Quick clarification if you'd please: So the Alpine kit has a downpipe. Will a Random Technologies cat con bolt in or will it have to be welded? I think i know of a shop that will do an aluminized cat back for me so I hope to be ok in that area. Any good muffler choices? I'm not afraid of being a little loud if it means better flow although I understand those are not necessarily related characteristics. Also, how much do you suppose Alpine will dock off the price w/o 5th inj and unichip? Their kit is already dirt cheap esp. compared to the $4000 I was going to give Stillen for their pos vortech kit. Sheesh! Thanks for bearing with me guys, I inherited my fathers gift for gabbing and apparently it carries over to typing too. Sorry. sad.gif