Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Got My Rside Header

Old 08-30-2005 | 03:39 PM

im telling you there are tibs with that header
2kshark i just went to kspec.com they dont sell these as far as i know any more, but the new 4-2-1 racing headers fit both the elantra and 2g tib
Old 08-30-2005 | 03:54 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

The elantra and the tib are the same motor.
Dude, if the headers bolt up, fit the studs and the gaskets then they FIT YOUR CAR. wattsup had them on his tib, so there's NO reason they shouldn't fit yours.
Also, you need to get your terminology right, we can't help you when you keep telling us there's a problem with the down pipe (there is no downpipe!!).
You're making wattsup look like a really bad guy and personally I don't think that's the case, I just think that you're not understanding how to do the install.
Try taking some pictures of underneath your car, under your hood, and of ALL the pieces that came EXACTLY how they were when you opened the box from wattsup, until then you should draw no more conclusions.
Old 08-30-2005 | 03:58 PM

ZONED i have an elantra, but besides that i told him to take pics too.
Old 08-30-2005 | 05:17 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

QUOTE (2kShark @ Aug 30 2005, 03:38 PM)
Well I think I was basically scammed.. but I'm not gonna jump to conclusions

No, you weren't, he put up pics of the header before on his car. Wattsup4800 is a standup guy.

7 hours and several different exhaust shops.

And what did they say? Dude, without pictures how does anyone know they weren't damaged or bent in shipping? There could be something very obvious wrong, but without seeing them, we cant' tell you.

Do they look at all like this?

Does it have that mesh looking area in the middle of the single pipe? That's the FLEX PIPE. Is that there or not?

This is a header off an Elantra and it does not seem to fit the stock exhaust on an RD2.

The Elantra has a somewhat longer exhaust if I remember correctly. Just a few inches. You might have to get a small pipe to go between them. This happens now and then.

QUOTE (wattsup4800 @ Aug 30 2005, 03:39 PM)
im telling you there are tibs with that header

Yup. Kspec.com used to sell them, and they are identical. HOBGOBLIN HAD/HAS THEM ON HIS CAR!!!

QUOTE (zoned019 @ Aug 30 2005, 03:54 PM)
The elantra and the tib are the same motor.

Yup. Same motor, frame, mounts, lots of stuff. Same exhaust too I think.

Also, you need to get your terminology right, we can't help you when you keep telling us there's a problem with the down pipe (there is no downpipe!!).

Word. No one is picking on you 2k2Shark, but we want to help you figure out what's wrong.

You're making wattsup look like a really bad guy and personally I don't think that's the case, I just think that you're not understanding how to do the install.

Right, me too. And this happens.

Try taking some pictures of underneath your car, under your hood, and of ALL the pieces that came EXACTLY how they were when you opened the box from wattsup, until then you should draw no more conclusions.

Agreed.

BTW, after looking at your profile, I don't see a YEAR for your car listed. If it's a 2000 or a 2001 (I'm assuming so), the OEM exhausts changed a bit from earlier models. Also, your stock exhaust, one or 2 cats?
Old 08-30-2005 | 10:22 PM

Sorry guys for ranting, and no I'm not trying to attack wattsup4800, he's a great guy, this I know from being in constant contact with him since July.

But when I asked if I could be refunded in full, he said he wanted nothing to do with the header. THat's his choice, but I was fed up at the time. Apologies.
BUT, it was pretty much GUARANTEED these would be a perfect fit on my RD2.

BTW, I've been waiting for 3 months for a header from OBX to RSide. I got my header with Wattsup4800 stock cat still attached too.

It's raining pretty dern hard out tonight, but first thing tomorrow I'm gonna take a shitload of pics for you all.

Yeah. My terminology is slacking a bit, but when Wattsup said he cut the downpipe, I assumed whatever was cut WAS the downpipe.

And Zoned, I never said there was a problem with the downpipe. The header itself is a straight through and does not have that 'angle' to it. It is NOT a direct bolt on. It does not align. I know MOST headers on MOST cars require slight modification but there isn't anything any exhaust shop around here can do about it. I was at FOUR today alone.

I brought it to Midas and they said the same thing. The stock exhaust is bent at an ANGLE, and the header is a straight-thru. I'm going to take it there again just so I can take some good pics

Flex pipe is there Redz.

Already PMed Hobgoblin about the problem. I PMed him way back in July and he said these are a perfect fit, so this whole thing came as a shock to me.

I own a 2000 Tiburon. 2 cats, I believe? I tried to list my year as '2000' but everytime I did it would load as '1996' so I gave up.

Thanks guys, dont know how I'd tune my car without ya. smile.gif
Old 08-30-2005 | 11:21 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

I'm telling you that there's no way the flex pipe isn't angled...
Old 08-30-2005 | 11:26 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Mustang GT

i dont see why u cant just have the muffler shop fab a piece to make it fit.

maybe i'll understand when u have the pics up
Old 09-03-2005 | 02:17 AM

Well now I feel like an ass tongue.gif

I swapped in the RSide 4-2-1's today by myself because I was reassured that they would fit on the stock cat AND that they were a direct bolt on. Took about 3 hours.. used the stock bolts.

All apologies to Wattsup4800, and thanks for getting me these excellent headers!

Impressions are BELOW my expectations though. It definitely increased power all throughout the powerband. There is also a deeper and more throaty growl at idle coming from the exhaust, and it sounds nice and DEEP at low RPMs.

Shifting also improved! Shifts are very snappy and smooth now.

You were right OP. It sounds similar to the stock manifold, but not nearly as aggressive sounding.

I think the CAI overtakes the sound of the header though, but there's definitely a little more pull midrange. No more than 2-3hp all throughout the powerband.

Under the hood looks a lot nicer.=)

BTW, my stock manifold looks so f***ing clean! I think I only ran it for like +/- 50 miles so it's in excellent condition, and looks brand new. Might post this up in the FS section soon. PM me for details.
Old 09-04-2005 | 02:44 PM

um...so it actually worked when you tried it? hmm......funny how that works...lol ... glad it worked for you...you didnt notice gains that much huh? i noticed pretty considerable gains from my BSE header...you have pics?
Old 09-04-2005 | 03:01 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

Do u have a catback i think the header would be more effective if u did from what ive heard