Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

is it good to cut your exhaust on a brand new car

Old 05-25-2002, 07:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok let me clear things up here because I understnad what he's asking. Cutting the tip on your muffler is NOT going to make it any louder, or any faster. The only way you get a gain in any of these is by modifying the muffler not the tip. Mufflers restrict the exhaust flow out of the car. Getting an aftermarket muffler opens up the airflow and in return gives more power and makes it louder because you are not (pardon my ironic term) muffling the sound. So no cutting the tip will do nothing. Buy an aftermarket muffler, take it to a shop, and have them do stainless piping from the cat-back and you'll get all the sound and performance your looking for. Hope I helped.
Old 05-25-2002, 11:17 AM

hey guy i have a elantra gt what i did is to get a 21/2 pipe cut the resnator off with a hack saw replace with pipe ,cut that big a$$ muffler off get a obx muffler ebay , put it on the rear get clamps and hanger, your going to have to drill a hole under the rear, after the bend to hold the muffler up.the hanger that all ready there is to far at the end of the bumper to hold the muffler up
Old 05-26-2002, 01:46 AM

Here is how mines mounted The muffler looks lower in that pic then it really is. BTW I wanted it mounted that way since that is the way the exhaust(5Zigen Fireball) is supposed to be. It only has 3 bends in the whole system, 2-45 degree bends and one slight bend under the rear suspension to get the angle right.
Old 05-26-2002, 05:39 AM

it looks very good. i dont know if the under rear is different then mine, i have a gt i would think so