Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

is it good to cut your exhaust on a brand new car

Old 05-25-2002, 03:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is it good to cut your exhaust on a brand new car

is it good to cut the ehaust on a new car cuz on my elantra the pipe is small and points down and i wondered if the car would sound better and run better if i cut it and can yall tell the pros and cons of cutting your exhaust ok thanx
Old 05-25-2002, 04:17 AM

Its pointed down for a reason. I learned out the hard way.

If you are refering to the tip coming out of the muffler. You will notice from childhood, that if you heated up a pen, it would start to melt. Well I decided to not put a tip on my muffler. It started melting my bumper, something to think about. (this was on my Sonata after removing the performance muffler).

If you wanna cut your exhaust, I say go all out, get a straight through muffler, and larger piping all the way through. Yes it will cost a lot, but it will save a lot of the plastics on your car in the long run.
Old 05-25-2002, 04:20 AM

Exactly what Smiley said!

DON'T just RICE it up. Don't waste your time!

BV1 (he's got a 2001) has a glass pack in the middle of the pipe just back of the flange and then straight pipe back! Sounds VERY quite, but top end has improved. Well he's also got a CAI, BTB, BIM. LOTSA FLOW THERE
Old 05-25-2002, 04:57 AM

well is it good just to cut it and leave it like that?
Old 05-25-2002, 04:59 AM

Don't waste your time, won't do jack **** by just cutting the tip
Old 05-25-2002, 05:02 AM

well how could i put a new muffler and tip in if the pipe points down??
Old 05-25-2002, 05:08 AM

Ok, what the heck are you trying to do?

At first I thought you were just gonna cut the "tip" at the end of the muffler that points down, and put a new "tip" on

Now your saying you wanna get a new muffler all together???

What do you want to do exactly?
Do you want a new muffler? or just a tip?
Old 05-25-2002, 06:22 AM

i want to know if its good to just cut the tip at the end of my exhaust and leave it like that and would that make my car sound better and perform better but also if i decided to put a tip on the end how would i do it if the tip points down cuz the bumpers in the way and the car is a 2002 elantra GLS
Old 05-25-2002, 06:59 AM

Smiley:
Its pointed down for a reason. I learned out the hard way.

If you are refering to the tip coming out of the muffler. You will notice from childhood, that if you heated up a pen, it would start to melt.
I think it was pointed out that if you just cut the tip off that you will melt your bumper.. Probably not a good idea to do..
Old 05-25-2002, 07:10 AM

Want better sound, and a light price tag? Here's what you do. Get yourself a nice lil tuning or racing muffler. Spend about $40 for that. I've got one I'll let go for $50. PM me About that, anyways.... Take it down to your local muffler shop and have them replace it for you. Usually around $20. Depending on the muffler and tip, you can get better sound and performance for as little as $50-60.

I would advise against cutting anything under your car unless you know exactly what it can do. For instance, like smiley said you could damage your paint. I've hear of people cutting the whole muffler off and leaving it like that. Not a very good idea.