Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Going Turbo Checklist

Old 11-06-2009 | 03:23 AM

ok, so i've been saving some money up, and i'm going to start buying stuff for my tib so i can turbo it. i hope to have 90% of the parts by febuary, then finish it either march or early april. i know i'm not nearly as educated as some of you but i'm still going to try.

so, here's basically the list of stuff i think i'll need ( been using the search feature a lot, reading a bunch of threads, let me know if i'm wrong or anything) :

1. fuel pump
2. fuel injectors
3. adjustable cam gears (not sure if this is NEEDED but my dad is buying me a set so i'm going to have them)
4. ecu ( i'm going to get a megasquirt setup off of KFX)
5. piping & hoses, fittings, lines ect
6. manifold (obx sound ok? i know i read that some people don't like them but there's a pretty good amount of people on here with them... )
7. intercooler
8. gauges
9. turbo (i think i want to go with OBX for the turbo as well; i can get a pretty nice price on a tx35r with the t4 straight)
10. time
11. a second car, at least for a couple weeks
12. new clutch to handle more power
13 lsd (again not sure if it's needed but if so is the phantom grip really as bad as some on here say? )

i am not sure if i forgot anything.... i'm kinda tired right now.... i'll check tomorrow before class and see what you guys think. thanks in advance though
Old 11-06-2009 | 03:45 AM

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

http://www.rdtiburon.com/index.php?showtopic=18676
Old 11-06-2009 | 06:47 AM

Vehicle: 2006 Pontiac GTO

We bought an OBX off ebay and it didn't bolt up (bolt pattern was off). I was able to return it, but I wouldn't try again haha. The manifold looked pretty good though, had some additional reinforcements

The turbo is probably the most important part, don't skimp on that.. and don't choose the turbo based on what you can get cheaper, you can get them all cheap if you're getting knockoffs.. Go with a T3 super 60 if you are staying under like 12psi of boost

Which by the way you should specify, asking a question without even giving an idea of the power goals is dumb.. no you won't need a lsd if you're running 5psi, you will probably want one if you're running 20psi.
Old 11-06-2009 | 08:42 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Looks like a good start to a list, ut the 3000 other similar lists would be a good read.
Old 11-06-2009 | 08:56 AM

Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

You definitely need to give some power goals. Or maybe just ask questions. This just seems like a list that's already been made like 30 different times. we all know that you need a manifold in order to turbo. If you actually gave brands and models. then we can help there.
Old 11-06-2009 | 09:06 AM

OK First of all, you need to figure out how much boost your gonna run.

10psi and under

or 10psi+

Under 10psi you can get away with cheaper parts, if you have a GOOD tune.

Once you go over 10psi, your gonna want to look at building your engine, and upgrading all your parts.

I dont like your idea for the turbo, but your list looks like a good start.... Your at the start of the road, theres still LOTS more things.

For even more help Socks is on his site (turbosocks.com) Basically EVERY day and is happy to answer questions.
Old 11-06-2009 | 09:20 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Tuscon

Also +1 on power goals

And you can run 15psi on stock internals with a GREAT tune, several members have done it. Hell Noel (ScoupeLS) was running 20+ on stock internals but that ended fairly quick smile.gif

No need for LSD unless you really want one or are shooting for high power goals

OBX manifold=fail, not that theres a lot of options but just my opinion

Didnt see rrfpr on there, gonna need one with the bigger fuel pump

theres a lot of misc. crap you"ll need but it can't wait until you get the basics installed
Old 11-06-2009 | 09:28 AM

Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

Also if you are looking for something on the cheaper side. Like me being a student. I would suggest an Evo 8 Turbo setup.

You can buy a used turbo in good condition for under $250. Manifold and o2 housing for $100.
I spent a total of under $200 for my Turbo/Mani/O2. Probably not the best parts....duh, but it will get me
where I wanna go. I'm gonna be running 11 psi on stock internals. '

Just check out Scoupe's thread.
Old 11-06-2009 | 09:38 AM
Banned

id recommend staying away from an OBX manifold unless you are wanting the chance to have to modify it or worry about it cracking..

personally, i wouldn't put used parts into a build, but if your cheap, thats probably the route you will want to take..

could also look at re-manufactured turbos. the ones i use exceed OEM Garrett specs and are cheaper.