Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

getting out the hex plug for the oil feed

Old 07-01-2002 | 05:00 AM

Default getting out the hex plug for the oil feed

Random,
did we ever come up with a consensus on how to get that stupid hex plug out for the oil pressure feed?

I about stripped it with my hex wrench, and I have a set of screw extractors I can try.

I found several threads discussing it, but we never seemed to reach a conclusion. Reverse threaded?

I'm installing my gauges this weekend and was just curious.

thanks in advance,
ac
Old 07-01-2002 | 02:52 PM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

Vehicle: x3 accent gk tiburon santa fe

Here's a trick for Allen pipe plugs...
give it a couple of hammer blow to loosen the treds a bit then put the Allen key in it (hammer the key a bit into the plug) and apply force at a straight angle on the ratchet ( no angles or you will "round" the allen hole

if the hole is already rounded of a bit you could hammer it a bit then hammer in a non-metric allen key in it
if that fails use a "round" shaped extactor

on my car i installed my oil pressure gauge in the same spot used by Hyundai for the oil pressure switch ,i just used a STELL T fitting

Denis
Old 07-01-2002 | 10:28 PM

Thanks. I also found out that the hex screw in the top-center-front (how's that for confusing smile.gif ) is also in the same oil galley as that hex plug on the end. That's probably a lot easier to get out. My problem is, I only have a 1/8 BSP to 1/8 NPT adapter, and I believe that plug is a 10 mm x 1.25. Oh well, time for another trip to pep boys.

If I can avoid it, I'll tap the oil elsewhere and avoid that hex plug altogether. Too many horror stories (including one that involved drilling and having to flush the head to get the iron filings out, b/c they damaged the valve area. DOH!).

thanks,
ac
Old 07-08-2002 | 04:30 AM

You're not going to find that 4an to 10mm adapter at pepboys. I looked all over and couldn't find it at any store. Summit has it in their sport compact catalog. It doesn't show up in their website neither.