Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Gear Slip

Old 11-12-2006, 02:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1997/ Hyundai/ Tiburon

chryster (sp?) makes fluid for our trannys too. Thats what i have in mine. According to Webtech there is one type of fluid they make that works with hyundais.
Old 11-20-2006, 08:24 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

Got my codes checked. 3 of them, NONE emissions so the EVAP is fixed once and for damn all.

P0422 - CAT Low Bank

P0732 - 2nd gear ratio problem

P0712 - Temp Sensor Signal High

There you have it, that's the gear slip. What is the cause? I know one of the oxygen sensors must be wired wrong for the CAT, I have to go back to the damn shop and tell them to fix my work and get rid of that.

As for the other two, they just randomly appeared out of nowhere. Anyone relate? sad.gif
Old 11-20-2006, 08:55 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

P0712 means there is something wrong with the wiring on the sensor that sees what the temperature of the ATF fluid is. The voltage signal is low... so its probably cut.

The gear ratio problem, from what I can tell, means there is something wrong with the solenoid or something else that controls 2nd gear.
Old 11-20-2006, 09:30 PM

Really!! Ok so my wiring on the O2 Sensor extension must be wrong no?
wrong with the wiring on the sensor that sees what the temperature of the ATF fluid i
Or are you referring to a different sensor?

Why are the P07's in the same number, could they be related?

hamhead, i'm straight but i love you. banana2.gif
Old 11-21-2006, 12:33 PM

Vehicle: 1998 Tiburon

This seems to be a reoccuring theme here on RD and something that both TomOTEC and I also have.

Now, I did some research on the matter and according to my buddy the trans has a solenoid in it and it tells the trans when to shift. It also senses the fluid temp.. Thus, when the trans is cold it shifts like a dog.

Mine did this all last winter and has begun doing it again, lesson learnt is not to go hard on it until the fluid is at warm and has circulated.
Old 11-21-2006, 03:36 PM

hmmm... like i said before. the mechanic could have done it wrong. goddamn. i did just have a fluid change and this crap happened shortly after that.

so it could be the solenoid that needs replacing, or maybe the wrong kind of fluid put in there which causes high readings? I'm trying to figure out whether Temp sensor signal High is causing 2nd gear ratio problem. i'm also reading it could be the valve body. where exactly is this solenoid located?

wow... automatic trannies really suck!!! Pandy, you have an auto too? welcome to the club buddy. it sucks in here sometimes but we're both from the city so it's not as bad as it could be with 5-speed.
Old 11-21-2006, 04:12 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Ye, Pandy has it right from my understanding of transmissions. Go to webtech and type in the codes there it usually gives you a diagnostic for finding out whats wrong and where the solenoid/sensor is located.

And go to your mechanic and tell him to fix the o2 sensor and ask what type of fluid he put in it.
Old 11-22-2006, 03:22 PM

^definitely the next moment i see him. what's our universal username and password for webtech?

P0712 = Transmission Fluid Temperature (TFT) Sensor Circuit -Low Input (high temperature indicated)
= B = *DTC P0712 will be stored in PCM history *Transmission default temperature will be 135ºC (275ºF) *Freeze 1-2 shift adapts from being updated

i got a used computer swapped from another 97 tiburon, do you think that has something to do with the ECM giving the wrong readings? or is that totally not a contributor?

P0712 = ATF temp-sensor circuit open. Check the connectors on the tranny.

that's from hp.com. maybe my other mechanic might have left one of the sensors unplugged or something when he was changing the fluid? hmmm....

ok i just spoke to my friend about it. he said the solenoid could be clogged from the transmission flush. i have had this for a while now so i don't think it's the transmission flush that caused it.

it only happens for 2nd gear, not 1st, not 3rd, not 4th. and apparently my EVAP system is fine and shows no code. the gears are just fine, the transmission is just fine just the one TFT sensor circuit Low imput (high temp for gear 2.

i don't know how this is repairable. my friend told me you can either do another flush which can but might not unclog it, or open up the transmission.
Old 11-30-2006, 04:29 PM

Tranny is F*cked. Wow... I haven't talked to my mechanic since the car went in, but it looks as if the tranny is out.

He has a 2001 Tiburon wreck with a new 5-speed manual with everything inside so I'm going to ask him to convert. How difficult do you think it would be to swap out the Automatic for the 5-speed? What kind of wiring problems are we talking about? Would he need to cut out the firewall for the extra foot pedal? Is it a VERY painful job?

I really want to convert, since he has all of the parts necessary right there the price is hooked up. But do you think it would lead to a lot of problems? I wouldn't want to have things go bad and him to run into some custom work because he doesn't do custom work only body and deep mechanical.
Old 11-30-2006, 04:39 PM

Vehicle: 1997/ Hyundai/ Tiburon

nice, seems ur getting the swap sooner than u thought.