Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Gear sensor?

Old 01-23-2005 | 05:40 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Tiburon
Default Gear sensor?

In some automatic cars the shifter is on the floor but yet they have an in dash position thingy that reads P R N D 2 1. Everytime you shift gears it highlights the one your in. I was wondering how to go about doing that on my manual tranny Tib? Is it a sensor in the tranny or just some sensors in the shifter surround that reads it? I could check my sister's Accord but I'd rather try to stay away from going that route.
Old 01-23-2005 | 09:36 AM

I suppose you could do it with six magnetic switches and a magnet on the shifter. When it came near one of the six, it would send a signal to light up that particular light. If you did it right, you could have it illuminate the Nuetral sign whenever the magnet was not energizing a switch.
Old 01-23-2005 | 12:23 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Actually, if you do a search, it's been done before. I think they used switches, but it looked good.
Old 01-23-2005 | 02:27 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Acura TL

Hmmmmm, does anyone know of a device that displays the numbers digitally?? I'm sure Autometer has something of the sort.

It sound interesting but for the work involved it seems like a waste. I know what gear I'm in, why would you need a device to tell you that and could malfunction.
Old 01-23-2005 | 06:39 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

QUOTE (Mad-Machine)
I suppose you could do it with six magnetic switches and a magnet on the shifter. When it came near one of the six, it would send a signal to light up that particular light. If you did it right, you could have it illuminate the Nuetral sign whenever the magnet was not energizing a switch.

thats what i would do.
Old 01-23-2005 | 07:03 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

QUOTE (silvertibbs)
Hmmmmm, does anyone know of a device that displays the numbers digitally?? I'm sure Autometer has something of the sort.

7-Segment LED Digital Display

Now, if your good, you will know how to wire one of these tongue.gif
Old 01-23-2005 | 07:26 PM

Why would you need one of these? I can usually keep track of what gear I'm in, and if I forget, I just look down at the shifter.
Old 01-23-2005 | 07:48 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Acura TL

QUOTE (Casper)
7-Segment LED Digital Display

Now, if your good, you will know how to wire one of these tongue.gif

Wow, that is exactly what I meant. That would be a nice rice add-on to have sunken in on your dash.

QUOTE (Tibbychick)
Why would you need one of these? I can usually keep track of what gear I'm in, and if I forget, I just look down at the shifter.

Exactly my point, but I think it's a cool idea nonetheless.
Old 01-23-2005 | 08:12 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Well, my opinion to add to Mad-Machine's idea would be to use 4 magnetic switches and logic gates. I dont know how technical you all are, but I think this would be the best way. Basically you would mount the magnetic switches where the short and long part of the cable throw is (mounting the magnet where the cable meets the shifter mounts. This way you can use 2 for when the cables are all the way out, and two when the cables are all the way in. Using the logic circuits you can do things like when cable 1 is all the way in and cable 2 is all the way out, you have first gear. Respectivly, you can use, say switch one and two are off and switch three is on, giving you all 6 gears.

I personally do not think I would add it to my car, but yes, it can be done smile.gif.
Old 01-23-2005 | 09:05 PM

maybe for a road race or rally car.. it would not be bad.. MANDATORY for a sequentual tranny.. but on a standard stick on a road car.. kinda useless. Neat, but useless