Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

G4gr Engine Question.

Old 10-06-2005 | 11:03 AM

Here is a photo of my G4GR 1.6L engine

Can someone help me out ?

Is it:

1. Alpha ?
2. Beta I ?
3. Beta II ?

ps: the intake manifold its custom made.

Please help me !!!
Old 10-06-2005 | 11:27 AM

Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Tiburon

its a beta 1
i would believe it just has a shorter stroke then the 1.8 or 2.0
the engine name is from the model of the year u have
there all the same engine
look here for more info >>http://www.rdtiburon.com/index.php?showtopic=4980
Old 10-06-2005 | 02:00 PM

It IS a Beta. I myself had a 1.6 Beta Elantra here in Southamerica. What happens is the 1.6 Beta is an export model only, so it will be very difficult for you to find OEM parts in Korea.
This engine has the same stroke as a 1.8, but with smaller pistons, thjough, I don't know if the rods are the same; and I also don't know if the heads are swappable, because if piston is smaller, then bore is smaller, then cylinder diameter is smaller, so the head should be adapted to this...
What I am pretty sure is that the headers and Intake Manifold match, if you want to test it yourself, buy a set of gaskets for the 1,6 and compare them to the gaskets for the 2.0 (or 1.8, in Beta1 1.8 = 2.0 )
I don't think you will sqeeze enough power from the little 1.6 to justify the GT headers, however, you could settle for the Racing Headers (I have them) they are truly good and would be enough for your engine capacity.

The clutch system is DIFFERENT in the Coupes/Elantras equipped with the 1.6, it uses a pull type clutch, while the 1.8 and 2.0 use a push type clutch, so... no, you can't buy the clutch for the 2.0 and use it. However, there might be a chance, a good chance, that the cluth is the same as the one in the Alpha engines Elantras that exist in Korea (that's right, in South Africa, South America, Europe, there are 1.6 BETA Elantras and Coupes, while the 1.6 Elantras in Korea have the engine from the Accent, that's why there is so much confusion about the subject).
Old 10-06-2005 | 11:38 PM

QUOTE (Zman @ Oct 6 2005, 11:00 PM)
I don't think you will sqeeze enough power from the little 1.6 to justify the GT headers, however, you could settle for the Racing Headers (I have them) they are truly good and would be enough for your engine capacity.

In the future Ill change the 1.6L engine with a 2.0L one. That’s why I’m thinking to buy the GT headers.
Old 10-06-2005 | 11:55 PM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

You should go FlyRyde headers than. Low price now only.
Old 10-09-2005 | 12:18 AM

Can someone tell me the difference between the Beta I and Beta II motors ?
Old 10-09-2005 | 12:28 AM

Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Fx Coupe

The Beta 2 is what's used in the GK Tiburon & also the later model Elantras.

They are similar but there are quite a few differences...

Go to NT.com to get more info fing02.gif
Old 10-09-2005 | 09:55 AM

As you have the Beta I, to have the whole picture you can also look at Hyundai Aftermarket now it's a view only forum, but in it's days it was "the" place to look at, as now is RDTiburon.com. There you will find A LOT of technical info, and also info on the Beta2.
The Beta 2 is used in some other vehicles like the new Tucson 2.0 L, Elantra 2.0 and GK Coupe (coupe 2003 and up).
Basically the valve train is different because it uses solid vlave lifters instead of the HLA's we have, the Throttle Body is different, it uses a NON-return fuel sistem, the duration on the intake cam is better than ours, but the exhaust cam is less agressive, so ours is better.
In the US another big difference is that Beta 1 used MAF (Mass Airflow Sensor) and the Beta 2 uses MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure {sensor}) but in the rest of the world Beta 1 used MAP also, so for you in Greece there's not the MAF-MAP difference, it's all MAP.
There are some other differences I don't have in the head right now, but they are not so many, it's details only, oh and I am sure you will ask... heads are swappable, just ask Jaws wink1.gif
Old 10-09-2005 | 10:13 AM

What about the intake. Why some some Beta I motors have plastic intake and some have metallic intake ?