Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Fuel question?

Old 10-10-2001, 03:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel question?

Ok I've been thinking about this since I read an article in Super Street about fuel pressure.

What is the pro's and con's of installing a fuel pressure regulator, Hi-perf. fuel rail and fuel pressure gauge on a Tib with the only engine mod is a CAI? future mods include cams and bored IM and TB, and SR headers.
Old 10-10-2001, 04:34 AM

more fuel is good smile.gif but there is alot you'll need first before you need to start playing with your fuel system and even then before you look at rails and regulators you'll need a new pump first, no point getting fancy hi fuel flow in the bay but can't pump fuel to it. After a CAI, cams, headders, tb then maybe a SAFC to manage the fuel you already are getting then in you go beyond you can look at that other stuff.
Old 10-10-2001, 04:47 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

With just a CAI, you should not need more fuel. More fuel is really only needed once you have some more mods, and/or Nitrous or Forced Induction.

Keep in mind, if you up the fuel pressure, you lower the Flow. So if you cranked up the fuel pressure to 75 PSI, you would only flow 15 GPH, but at 44 PSI (stock) you flow 75 GPH (severe exaggeration), so sometime more fuel pressure can actually mean LESS fuel flow. You would be better of to stick with the stock fuel system and use a S-AFC to adjust the stock injectors @ the stock fuel pressure, and again...only if needed.
Old 10-10-2001, 06:15 AM

Thanks guys.

I'll probably be going Headers, Cams, then Bored IM and TB. So in this order when should I get the S-AFC?
Old 10-10-2001, 07:22 AM
Super Moderator

Originally posted by QÜIKTIB:
Thanks guys.

I'll probably be going Headers, Cams, then Bored IM and TB. So in this order when should I get the S-AFC?

I would go in this order
BTB/BIM
Headers
Full Exhaust
Cams AND S-AFC

The change in cams will require the S-AFC if they are performance cams. If it is just the 2001 Elantra intake cam, you won't "need" the s-afc for cams, but simply because the number of mods you now have.

You should be able to install the S-AFC yourself, but have it tuned on a dyno. You should be able to see the gains that way and you will know it is done right.

You 'could' add the S-AFC at the same time as the headers/full exahust, but the S-AFC will need to be re-tuned for the cams, so you might as well hold off till then anyway.
Old 10-11-2001, 02:34 AM

My uncle works at a local machine shop, should they be able to bore my IM? How much should this run?

Thanks again.
Old 10-11-2001, 03:34 AM
Super Moderator

Originally posted by QÜIKTIB:
My uncle works at a local machine shop, should they be able to bore my IM? How much should this run?

Thanks again.

I think onpol charges about $150 for the IM. That includes boring it to match the TB, and gasket matching the intake ports (enlarging them) and smoothing the last 4-6" of the intake runners.