Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Fuel Pump Installed

Old 07-21-2002 | 10:04 PM

Default Fuel Pump Installed

Well, the next phase of my turbo install started on Saturday. A buddy and I installed my Eclipse GSX fuel pump into the tibby. Everything was exactly as Brendan outlined on his site:

http://webhome.idirect.com/~trini/car/pump.html

Took about an hour, most of which was taking the seats out and putting them back in.

Some notes: I seem to have more pickup and more stable EGT's now. The EGT used to go between 1150 and 1350, but now stays stable at 1250 at all times (under load, 950 at idle). The pickup is what really puzzles me. The pressure should be kept the same, and the injector pulse widths have not been modified, so there should be no more power. Only thing I can figure is that now I have more stable flow under all conditions (less fluctuation), and that's coming across as a bit more pickup.

My only evidence, though, is that I thought she was driving with the A/C off, until I looked down and saw it was on and blowing cold. when I switched it off, the pickup was even better.

Another possibility is that disconnecting the battery allowed the ECU to reset and now it's dialing in on a better A/F in closed loop mode.

weird. but anyway, now I have the extra margin for the 5 to 7 psi of boost. I'm planning on installing the RRFPR next weekend (it shouldn't do anything yet).

ac
Old 07-21-2002 | 10:19 PM

Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

So you don't need a FPR right away when you install a higher flowing fuel pump? Wouldn't that screw up the injectors or something with too much pressure flowing through them?
Old 07-21-2002 | 10:49 PM

The Tiburons use a fuel loop (aka return fuel system), whereby the pump supplies fuel to the fuel rail (whose pressure is regulated by the stock FPR). All excess flow is routed back to the fuel tank, thus completing the loop.

Adding a better fuel pump shouldn't affect this system at all. It will pump more, but that just means that more is being taking all the way through and back to the tank. The same amount flows through the injectors.

The rising rate FPR clamps onto the return line and increases the pressure depending on the boost signal. My Powerdyne unit has a 12:1 pressure rise: that is, 12 psi of fuel pressure for every psi of boost. This is more than enough, I should be somewhere around 10.5:1 with the final tuning.

Before I put the turbo on, though, it will be all vacuum, so the RRFPR should do nothing.

I'm doing the entire installation in phases, so I can catch problems one at a time, before the whole unit is assembled.

ac
Old 07-21-2002 | 10:54 PM

Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

Well, I'm going to need a better fuel pump no matter which route I take so I was going to put it on my stock system also. Just making sure that it is ok to do that. wink Thanks.
Old 07-22-2002 | 01:48 PM

Curtas!!
When you installed your fuel pump did you install thicker wires on the harness at all or are they all stock!!
Old 07-22-2002 | 09:52 PM

I left everything stock. Eventually, I want to upgrade to a relay and some beefy wires coming right off the battery (easy to do, since the battery is in the trunk now).

But basically, I followed brendan's instructions to the letter.

ac