Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Frozen Intake...read!

Old 06-05-2002 | 01:10 AM

Spray liquid nitrogen on metal and your going to have long term issues with metal fatique.
Old 06-05-2002 | 01:15 AM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Guys, guys, guys. No need to go all exotic!!

The two main substances that people use are.

Nitrous Oxide. Right out of the tank ONto the intercooler or air intake.
"Computer cleaner"/"Computer duster" in a can. Hold them upsidedown, and spray your hearts out.
Both will cool things off rather rapidly.

Things to worry about....

Rapidly cooling your intake manifold from say 250 degrees to -30 degrees is going to have some adverse effects. If done too quickly, the metal can crack.

What I have done at the track, and so has Jaws021, is take your heat wrapped random special intake. Soak it down with water before you get in line to dragrace.

Then freeze the water with the "Computer duster" just prior to your run. (when you are 2 or less cars back)

By the time you get back from just one run, the CAI will be mostly dry.

Doing this, I've recorded air intake temps at idle in the single digits, and in the 50's and 60's at high rpm. (on a 80-90 degree day)

I've tried packing the intake manifold with Ice, but saw no appreciable power/time difference than when I did not do this. I've tried "Freezing" the IM with the "computer duster" on occasion, but was simply too worried about over cooling it and cracking it to really chill it below zero.

Oh...and I packed the ice between the Fuel rail and the intake manifold, in that little cavity there. It says fairly secure with just a zip tie to hold it in.
Old 06-05-2002 | 01:20 AM

Has anyone thought about lining their Intake with this experimental material called a Peltir junction? Pretty mushc it opereates like, if there is a positive amount of energy on one side (Heat) than an equally negative amount of energy (Cold) will be applied to the other side. So if you havent figured this out yet, you line your intake with the "heat side" facing out, and the "cool side" facing in. Scientist use this material on space shuttles for cooling persons, im not sure about personal auto uses. Anyways, im going to try to apply for a grant from the government to run an "experiment" with this stuff and see how the results turn out. Any other nutty suggestions?
Old 06-05-2002 | 02:27 AM

Vehicle: 01 Tiburon

i ice mine down for racing but unless u re-route ur coolant line that runs thru ur throttle body it does nothing for u
Old 06-05-2002 | 02:50 AM

I have a good question about somethimg I have been thinking of doing. I thought about running nitrous through the throttle body, if you remove the cooling lines from the TB and then run nitrous through the cooling lines instead the TB should cool the air down pretty good. I am allready running a Zex kit and thought about running the line through the TB and then to the nitrous jet. Does anyone think this will work??
Old 06-05-2002 | 03:00 AM

wasn't he spraying it on an intercooler? it would boost his HP temporarily for the run by keeping the "intake air" cool. the ricers do the same thing, sometimes by using ice or even dryice.
Old 06-05-2002 | 03:42 AM

rally_wrc:
wasn't he spraying it on an intercooler? it would boost his HP temporarily for the run by keeping the "intake air" cool. the ricers do the same thing, sometimes by using ice or even dryice.
Ahh, dry ice, thats it. Does that work? And where would you put it in relation to your intake?
Old 06-05-2002 | 04:08 AM

catcher81:
I'm telling you get you hands onsome lox. but you must keep it in a vacume or it will expand. If you realise it little by little the liquid should desolve and you get pure oxygen. But remeber lox is stored at -270F. So it's some cold ****.
Yes, yes. Takes the lox and some cream cheese then spread it under the heat wrap of your intake. Maseltov!
Old 06-05-2002 | 04:11 AM
Red

Bringrice:
Has anyone thought about lining their Intake with this experimental material called a Peltir junction? Pretty mushc it opereates like, if there is a positive amount of energy on one side (Heat) than an equally negative amount of energy (Cold) will be applied to the other side. So if you havent figured this out yet, you line your intake with the "heat side" facing out, and the "cool side" facing in. Scientist use this material on space shuttles for cooling persons, im not sure about personal auto uses. Anyways, im going to try to apply for a grant from the government to run an "experiment" with this stuff and see how the results turn out. Any other nutty suggestions?
Peltiers have been around forEVER, even on the consumer market. Ever seen one of those "stay cold coolers" that plugs into your car cigarette lighter? It's a 78-watt peltier unit in there keeping the inside "cool" and venting heat out the back. The problem is, if the hot side of that peltier gets TOO hot, it just stops pulling heat.

Peltiers are also VERY high power usage devices and apply only over a small area. They are widely used by computer enthusiasts to cool down their CPU's because of the size... A Peltier that small will still draw anywhere from 70 to 150 watts (at 12VDC even under the BEST electrical properties, you're talking 10-20 amps of power draw) and that's for a tiny-ass little square the size of the plastic flip-chip pin grid array of a P4 or something (like 1" x 1" square)

Peltiers would draw 500x more energy than the temperature offset would make up for. Wrong direction there...
Old 06-05-2002 | 05:08 AM

Hers something getto reroute your a/c condenser so pull in cold air from your a/c. Now thats getto. or do like Random said some what modified and have a big can of computer dust pray. Spray the **** out your cone before race or during race. Definatly rice. Maybe will ad and hp or two.lol