Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Final Drive

Old 08-21-2005 | 09:20 PM

perfect for me ive been struggling with boost for the past few months but now its peachy fing02.gif ! sorry mad i didnt know you were in korea thats awesome yeah i will hit you up in the next month or so ill have some cash to play with but i want the gears bad, does the maintech lsd go inside our tranny or another housing? how long do you think my car will be down if i take it to a shop?and or how much might it cost?
Old 08-21-2005 | 09:22 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

I think it's a great idea, as long as you don't get raped on installation. I think this will be a future mod..
Old 08-21-2005 | 11:42 PM

Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

Here's something to think about.... Although the thought of a taller overdrive gear sounds impressive, i dont think it will actually benefit our cars unless you have considerable work done to the engine. My mods are pretty mild. CAI, headers, high flow cat and exhaust. I have made many trips to Vegas and over the mountains, and I can tell you this: If you have to pull any kind of hill and/or fight a head wind, you are actually better off running in 4th then 5th. Some may call me crazy, and thats OK. but my mileage doesn't lie. I have tried both setting the cruise and trying to use it most of the way, and I've drove the car shifting into 4th pretty regularly. For me and my wallet, setting the cruise works on the prairie and down hills! tongue.gif

My Pops and I drove to AZ from Denver once and I let him drive half the way. He's use to setting the cruise in his automatic Silverado Super Duty and let his right foot sleep to where-ever he's going. He got terrible mileage in my car on his driving shifts. I drove over the Rockies and got better mileage because I used the gearing that the car needed. Not to say my father is a bad driver. He drives Semi's for a living and has never owned anything without a V8. So he is use to driving vehicles with more power that can utilize those taller overdrive gears. When he drives my car, he thinks that he can drive it the same way but doesn't understand that these smaller less powerful cars need to be driven differently to be efficient.

All I am saying is considering the power and weight of our cars, to install a taller 5th gear or completely replace the tranny for better fuel mileage seems to be a null effort. I would say at least half of us on this site would not be able to do this kind of work to our cars, we would have to take it to a shop or bribe a buddy to do a weekends work of work for a case of beer(Now THAT might be worth it!). I know that shop costs would be well over 500.00, and I believe a tranny swap would be in the neighborhood of 900.00. That's a lot of gas! Even if you got 3 more miles to a gallon, thats roughly 36-40 extra miles per tank, so about 1.3 gallons saved per tank. At 2.50 a gallon you've saved 3.50 per fueling. If you fuel up once a week, you are looking at a little less than 3 years to break even on this mod. And thats if you gain any MPG and know how to drive the car right. To the right driver, right conditions, a mechanic friend, and common sense, a taller 5th gear would make a slight improvement in gas mileage and be a worthy upgrade. But, I think knowing how to drive your car more efficiently would be the better and more economic choice for now and in the long term. cool.gif
Old 08-22-2005 | 12:00 AM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

But...if you can do it yourself it costs only $100.
Yes driving through the rockies it wouldn't matter, but driving on the interstate for 30 miles to/from school everyday it would save you quite a bit. As mentioned before, to get any power at all you need to shift to 4th, so driving through mountains you'd be in 4th either way.
You can't really lose with this mod, unless you pay out the ass.
Old 08-22-2005 | 03:37 AM

^^^
Yeah I noticed the high rpm

I mean it's like 3500+ for 120 kmh
if you're doing 120 real kmh on gps, you're doing almost 4000+ rpm

MOD EDIT: quote removed
Please, do NOT quote the post right before yours.
Old 08-22-2005 | 09:00 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

QUOTE (veiltib01 @ Aug 21 2005, 09:13 PM)
so where do i get the gears from kspec? do you have part numbers?prices?how

Dude. go to KSPEC.COM and look or use the search block there. Takes like 5 seconds.

While you can get the gear it'self for cheaper, installation will be a PITA>
Old 08-22-2005 | 09:43 PM

i did go to kspec thank you redz i love that site so many goodies but,they seem to only have shorter gears in the 4 range, he said he could get them in korea im assuming from a different source. i just dont want to have to pull my tranny and be without a car while i figure it out. it is my daily driver so im kinda in a bind but im deffinetly thinking about it, it wont happen until the middle of next month at the soonest. buying the parts i mean im gonna have to drive arround without it for a while or at least until i move back to california. then ill have to drive a tarus arround while my cars down and out, maybe a good time to build a turbo motor wink1.gif ,hmmmmmmmm ways to spend money i dont have lol. laugh.gif
Old 08-22-2005 | 09:59 PM

Getting different final gear to lower RPMs just in 5th gear would be stupid because you are going to lower it in the rest of the gears as well, which will hurt the performance a lot!

Getting different gear for the 5th is not the best idea in the world either because you have to take apart the whole tranny just to swap the 5th gear. More pain that gain, IMO.
Old 09-03-2005 | 12:36 AM

FGR is not the same thing as 5th gear... the final gear ratio effects all gears... if you change your FGR you will hit different speeds at the top of each RPM range than you would normally. Yes lowering your FGR will lower the RPMs your at in 5th gear doing 70mph (you will have a higher top speed as well assumeing you have the HP to get up to top speed) but you will also notice that if you took your car to the track that under the same conditions and same shifting times you will be slower (not by to much) and if you've hit 5th gear in the 1/4 mile I would be shocked

Haven't you guys played racing sims? Forza and the GT series both have all the info you need on gear ratios... buy a racing transmission for the car and you can change the gear ratio for gears 1-5(or however many gears the car has) and the FGR.... theoretically you could plug in the gear ratios of our cars and fiddle with the FGR and simulate a day at the track for your car and what changeing the FGR would put you at RPM wise (given that you choose a car of similar weight and HP) but that's just a theory
Old 09-03-2005 | 02:07 AM

Didn't you just repeat what I said above?