Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

extrude hone manifold

Old 05-31-2002, 01:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 02 Elantra
Default extrude hone manifold

I have a 2002 Elantra with the 2.0l. While looking at the throttle body I noticed that the intake manifold has the same size inlet as the throttle body. If I was to put on a larger throttlebody I don't believe there would be much of a gain unless the outlet on the t/b matched the size of the intake. I am thinking about getting a second manifold and having it extrude honed. Does anyone have experience with this, or have comments that would be usefull regarding this topic.
Old 05-31-2002, 02:41 AM

You are correct--only a larger TB would have minimal effect.

However, if you had searched, you would find that dozens if not hundreds of folks here have talked about their bored intake manifolds (BIM for short), and there are even a couple of current topics on the subject.

Extrude Hone is certainly the top-shelf solution....but it's so expensive that nobody here has done it yet to my knowledge. Use the search. Look at the 'BIM/BTB chain letter' thread(that's probably not the exact name). Search around on 'Onpol' or 'ElantraTech' and your questions will be answered.
Old 05-31-2002, 03:38 AM

Vehicle: 02 Elantra

Thanks for the search tip. I didn't even think to do that.
Does anyone know about what the extrude hone price runs? I realize you said no one has done it but I am curious if anyone researched it.

I answered my own question. I didn't notice the second page on the search I ran the first time.
http://www.extrudehone.com/pwrfloprice.html
Old 05-31-2002, 08:25 AM

Yeah, they want $395 for just the manifold, $475 for a 2-piece (IM & TB, you may have to supply a new throttle plate yourself). For a lot less than the that I bought a used IM & TB, had it onpol-honed and swapped it into my car, and I have a spare IM & TB set to sell or experiment with when I get around to it. And it didn't take the 4-6 weeks without my car.