Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Exhuast Problems/help

Old 09-10-2005 | 02:45 PM

how do u find out what type of wire and what size, if the wire is warned down and doesnt say anything?

ok so just to make this clear, should i relocate the first 02 sensor which is located close to the top of the hearder to the second bung which is after the flex pipe? and then get a cat with an 02 bung and move the second one there?

plz help me out
Old 09-11-2005 | 10:29 AM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

Take your sensor out, go to an auto parts store with it, and they will find you the same gauge wire. I think it costed me like $5 at carquest. The stuff I got for doing mine is exactly like OEM.
But, since you're extending them, and these are wires that are under the car, you should really find someone who can solder, and then heatshrink. I would definitely NOT try to just use a buttload of electrical tape and twist the wires together. The difference is that heatshrink provides a very good seal around the wires as opposed to tape, and water is something you can guarantee that these wires will have to battle when they're under the car. Just wires would be fine without any sort of coating, but since you are cutting and splicing you need to really wrap up the connection well.

Dude, why don't you get this..
FIRST o2 sensor BEFORE the cat.
SECOND o2 sensor AFTER the cat.

Any other o2 bungs you have open PLUG them with a bolt so you don't get leaks.
As long as the first one is before the cat, and the second one is after the cat, it doesn't matter where they are placed.

Order the cat, once you get it if you still have questions we'll be glad to help, but everything you need to know is here and once you see it it should be self explanatory anyway.
Old 09-11-2005 | 10:34 AM

Vehicle: 1997 Tiburon

Okay I'll give this a shot. I suggest filling out your veichle profile portion so we know what year tib you drive.

RD1. Leave your 02 sensor where the stock one is. There should be a bung there with no problems reaching it. Right before the cat. For your 2nd sensor put a bung there or have a shop do it and place your 02 sensor right after your cat. You might need to extend the wires. Simplest way is this. Take your shifter plate and radio suround off. To the right of the shift cables you will see a gromet with wires going down under the car. That's where your 2nd 02 sensor is. There's also a plug there. Unplug it, take the gromet through and slide the plug through the hole where the gromet was. Now unbolt your 02 sensor. Once it's in your hand cut the wires making sure you still have enough wire on the plug side to make the connections with the new wires. Now grab the plug and go visit an electrical store. Show the guy what wires you need and he'll do the work for you. If not make sure to match up the wire guage wise and also how they look inside. Once you have the wires solder them to the ends of the plug and the ends where the 02 sensor is. Make sure you cover the exposed wire and now install. If you have and rd2 have your first sensor in the first bung on the obx headers right by the exhaust ports and plug the one on the down pipe. The rest is the same. Hope this helps.
Old 09-11-2005 | 01:57 PM

sorry tanc but that confused me, ill get pics when i get the chance, but i have the rd1 with 4-1 obx headers, the first bung is right at the top of the header at the port viewable in the engine bay, then the second 02 is under the car aafter the flex pipe.

so i should plug the first 02 bung, and move it to the 2nd 02 bung and the 2nd 02 sensory move it after the cat when i get it with an o2 bung?
Old 09-11-2005 | 02:00 PM

Yes if you have an RD1.
Old 09-11-2005 | 02:14 PM

can i reloate the first 02 sensory the the 2nd bung plug the first 02 bung and just leave the 2nd o2 sensory hangin till i get the cat?

also as you guys prob kno i had an on going problem of performance,
when i try 2 accelerate the car is sluggish some times,

so i went thru it all changed plugs, wires, injector flush , fuel filter, fuel pump, replaced injectors, replaced one of the first 02 sensor, replaced the tps, got a new exhaust, i think that covers it from the top of my head.

but since i going to relocate the 1st o2 sensory to the 2nd o2 bung after the flex, ya think it will fix the sluggish response
Old 09-11-2005 | 03:24 PM

You need to speak in structual sentences. I barely understand what you are trying to say.

In a nutshell.

Keep the 1st 02 sensor right before the test pipe or w/e you have now ( 2nd bung in the DP ). Plug first bung.

Unplug the 2nd 02 sensor, extend the wires as I mentioned above, and do not install it until you have your cat. Don't leave it hanging you might damage the sensor.

I don't understand how this is hard to understand? If your still confused let me know EXACTLY on what part you are.
Old 09-12-2005 | 04:06 PM

Vehicle: 2000 carbon tiburon

ill take some pics tonight for you but if you do it right you wont have to extend any wires. plug in your first 02 sensor int he stock location which is cool cause my header doesnt have that option but mine is a 4-1 but ill take a pic of the lower section so you can see i did. fing02.gif
Old 09-12-2005 | 06:28 PM

so i tried to reloate the first 02 sensory which is located where the stock one would be, down to the 2nd 02 bung which is after the flex pipe.
But i couldnt get the 2nd o2 sensor out, we tried everything, the 2nd 02 sensory was removed when i replaced the headers, but now it just doesnt want to bug, all it does is stripe the screw, we got it to turn a little bit back and forth but thats it.

guess ill have to take it to a shop and hope that they can remove it without damaging it
Old 09-12-2005 | 09:06 PM

Well if you can move it left and right that means it's stripped. Take it to your shop and tell them that they didn't use any antifreeze. Tell them to get it out because you need that 02 sensor because they are idiots and do not know how to install sensors.