Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Exhaust Sound Suppression Inserts!

Old 08-21-2002 | 11:22 PM

Well, did you feel a hp lose? Or more effectively, to do you think that i'll lose a lot of hp on my 1.8l tib? I'm afraid i'm going to lose like 10 hp from this thing. Even 5 hp makes me think twice about getting this. I just can't stand right now how loud my car is.
The tech said it'll flow better than the glasspack and he recommended a 3 disk.

Cheuk, Did you put a 3 disk or 2 disk? If a 2 disk is quieter than a glasspack then heck, i might be able to save a few ponies if i do a 2 disk instead. What do you think Cheuk?

[ August 22, 2002, 06:31 AM: Message edited by: Koreandude ]
Old 08-22-2002 | 02:02 AM
Ego

Oh I don't doubt that it will silence the exhaust--it does look like the silencer for a gun smile.gif

It also would be much more removable than a glasspack, and should offer a much different tone. It probably won't have more flow loss than a cheap glasspack or resonator either, but I doubt it has less than a good perforated core one wink
Old 08-22-2002 | 02:33 AM

So do you think my hp will probably stay the same? If that's the case, thats awesome! I just don't want to lose anymore hp with the insert than my glasspack (which has a perforated core)
Old 08-22-2002 | 12:34 PM

I used the 3 ring silencer.
Hard to tell the difference of 10 hp when you're making over 400 hp. I would not expect any power loss but it would depend on how restrictive your stock exhaust is to begin with.

The sound volume is reduced and mellowed.

Heck, the Ferrari could have run no mufflers and with only the cats and exhaust inserts without a problem on the street.
Old 08-23-2002 | 12:08 AM

Well actually cheuk, my exhaust isn't stock at all. I'm running a 4-2-1 SR header, hi-flow carsound cat, a 25" resonator (glasspack), 2.25" piping and a dual DTM muffler.
If you say a 3 disk is a little TOO quiet then maybe i'll do a 2 disk to replace my resonator. Thanks for your opinions guys!
Old 08-23-2002 | 03:06 AM

Keep us posted, I took my custom exhaust off because it was too loud.
Old 08-25-2002 | 08:04 AM

Damn 2k wagon, i know how you feel. I took a trip to see my girlfriend in college and my head was pounding by the time i got to her! I ordered the inserts from summit racing (cheapest price!!! really good deal!) They should be here mid week. There is a dyno BBQ (cool eh?) going on here in Richmond, VA on Aug. 31st at a speed shop called Rosen Autosports (pronounced rose-in). If i heard correctly, dyno's are $10 and there's food! It's even on my Birthday too! You can't beat that, Aug. 31st i turn 21, dyno my car for $10, and eat!