Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

exhaust leak = full new exhaust

Old 03-21-2003, 08:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exhaust leak = full new exhaust

i just found a crack in the back of my exhaust manifold. I was just getting ready to do a cat-back exhaust so now im just going to have to start with the header and work my way back. Can i please have some ideas on a good combination starting from header back that would include header, cat or cats and cat-back? I like the sound of the mbrp but if a KORE is available for a 1999 2.0 then i would certainly go that way. I would appreciate it if someone could also mention anything that i can do to AVOID getting CELs from doing this exhaust work. I care about looks and sound and driveability, but i HATE lights coming on or staying on. Thanks for any info to anyone who helps
Old 03-21-2003, 09:31 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

the easiest way to avoid CEL's is to keep both o2 sensors, and put a cat converter between the first and second o2 sensor.

I would reccomend a 4-2-1 header 2.25" carsound cat, and either the MBRP, KORE, or pacesetter cat-back.
Old 03-21-2003, 09:44 AM

thanks for the help as usual random. not to be biased but which header will fit the best or work the best? I have the zefiro hood so any ideas on how to keep water off the header or how to protect the header..also any ideas in the houston area who i should have the work done by? Thanks again
Old 03-21-2003, 02:37 PM

when it comes to headers/exhuast installation, just do it yourself. as far as things go, this it about as hard as changing your spark plugs. it'll also give you some wrench time with your car. i have the mbrp. i love it. the only problem i had with it was with a fitting issue, but speedstate said i was the first to encounter this. the exhaust was rattling on the rear suspension, so i just had to play around with exhaust hangars until it stopped rattling.
Old 03-21-2003, 04:20 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

If SR is still selling them, I LOVED the RPW 4-2-1 header they had. Best I've seen so far. Came with a flex pipe section too.

I've haven't really heard anything BAD about ANY of the headers, other than one person who had a set of SR headers crack at the exhaust manifold flange.

I know RED is a fan of the HVE 4-1 header. anyone else have any personal reccomendations for headers?

How about personal experiences with cat backs?
Old 03-21-2003, 04:54 PM

I can vouch for the HVE headers,
I wouldnt say they're for show, but they do perform.
I had mine ceramic coated, made huge difference to the
engine bay temperatures.

BTW, unless the headers have changed, they arent terribly friendly
to the US tiburons, due to the dual CAT setup, it requires some
welding and fiddling from memory.

[ March 21, 2003, 11:56 PM: Message edited by: bryfx ]
Old 03-22-2003, 12:02 AM

ok well im gonna start ordering as soon as i get a full list of the things i will need. I hate finding out during the middle of an install that i forgot about something i needed to buy and having to be at the mercy of hyundai to order a part to come in. This is my daily driver and im limited to weekends off(sat and sun) so im gonna look around one or two more times and go over the message board and see who has had the best luck with 4-2-1 headers because i like performance but my car is not a drag car and im not really feeling the whole 4-1 header where i've gotta shoot up to 6 grand just to get some power to the wheels. I see car sound cats on ebay just 50 bucks and it mine so thats taken car of i guess and ive got the mbrp full cat-back exhaust selected on their site so im ready to order whenever i get everything lined up. I just want to make sure that i dont need anything else such as a glasspack or something to quiet the exhaust cause i like a growl for my car but i dont want my car being compared to the crappy whistlers(aka WHOOOOO WOOOOOO). Thanks for the help everyone. Just throw down anything else anyone can think of please. PS i already have the exhaust manifold gasket. And with putting on the headers...do i have to take anything else apart on my engine other than the current exhaust?