Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Exhaust on a budget

Old 09-20-2002 | 04:02 AM

Default Exhaust on a budget

I'm wondering if there's any problems with hacking off the stock muffler, schlacking
on a high performance on, then hacking off the first cat, moving the sensor, schlacking
on header and doing some work to connect them. Is the stock pipe between the first cat
and the muffler crap and restrictive? Wondering if anyone has done this on a budget
without the rice sound. BTW, going for a sleeper deal here. No mirrored 4" gaping pipe
flagging down cops from the back of my car.

Thanks!
Old 09-20-2002 | 04:19 AM

Depends on what kind of schlack you use. My grandfather used to use "Bob's schlack", and he never had a problem with it. Schlack away my friend and don't spare the schlack!
Old 09-20-2002 | 06:10 AM

No such thing as cheap exhaust...if you are cheap, then it will sound and perform cheaply too.
Old 09-21-2002 | 05:34 AM

I'm willing to spend good money on headers and muffler... I was just wondering if the stock pipes between the headers and muffler suffice, or should I might as well replace them, too.
Old 09-21-2002 | 07:00 AM

Spend a little more now, or SPEND LOTS MORE later to fix what you've just done.
Stock pipes will be your bottle neck, and as HE-MAN says,... be cheap and it'll sound and more importantly perform cheap!

If you're gonna do it, DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

[ September 21, 2002, 02:00 PM: Message edited by: KayJai ]
Old 09-26-2002 | 11:53 PM

you can't just hack off the first cat because its welded to your exhaust manifold. You'd have to do some serious customizing to get it done right. Save your pennies and get a exhaust first, muffler and piping. Your looking at 2.25" actual diameter for a N/A engine, so that means 2.25" mandrel bent or 2.5" crush bent piping. Get a decent muffler.

then you can get headers and a high-flow cat later and add it into the mix. A little more customizing but definetly worth it.
Old 09-27-2002 | 12:02 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Tiburon

Read this for some good solid advice on putting together a custom exhaust. It's kinda long, but really informative!

[ September 27, 2002, 07:03 AM: Message edited by: stickshift ]
Old 09-27-2002 | 01:12 AM

Thanks for the link stickshift. I lost that one.. full of good info!

Decker: I don't know if my car is different or what... I've replaced the exhaust manifold before and didn't have to deal with any welds to the cat. At any rate, think I'll save up and do it right the first time. Thanks folks!

Just paid my first TSR dues...
Old 11-21-2002 | 08:51 PM

what headers did you get? I'm assuming headers like OBX or local ones would be customized to the stock exhaust. The headers i have are the 4-1 SR headers which are for korean spec exhausts without a cat, and my exhaust was measured for stock manifold smile.gif lol. So i guess i got the short end of that stick. Well good luck dude! Keep us informed!