Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Engine whine when A/C is on

Old 08-12-2010 | 11:21 AM

Vehicle: 99 Tib
Default Engine whine when A/C is on

My car used to have a little bit of a whine when the a/c was but I noticed lately that the whine is getting louder. Recently replaced all my belts and everything is fine on that end, but just wondering if theres anything to be concerned about sine the whine seems to have gotten a little louder? Its a cool sound (almost like having a supercharger, wonder if you can hear it from outside) but I just want to make sure everything is ok.
Old 08-12-2010 | 12:04 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

If it only does it with the ac engaged more then likely your ac clutch is starting to fail. But did you make sure you cleaned your pulleys before you reinstalled the belt? A little steel wool or sand paper on the pulleys to clean all the old rubber off. If you want to test to see if it is this use some wd40 and spray a quick squirt on the different belts while it is running with the ac engaged and if it goes away it is the contact point between the belts and pulleys. Which would be not enough tension or dirty pulleys. If it stays then it is probably a bearing or ac clutch going bad.
Old 08-12-2010 | 12:38 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

The original a/c tensioner bearing on my car went bad and made a horrible screech when the car was shut off. Loosen the a/c drive belt and spin the tensioner bearing by hand.