Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

engine: time to switch sinthetic, flush engine?

Old 03-19-2002, 03:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine: time to switch sinthetic, flush engine?

is hyundai tiburon engine normally noisy in cold start?
I noticed i slight noise coming from head
like a valve tapping.
After few minutes no more noise.
Dealer say it's all regular.
anyone experience same noise?

i've 6k miles in my car
is it time for swich to sintetic oil like
mobil one 5w50 ???
or i should wait up to 10-12k miles?

i read somewhere about engine flush
but i'm worried doing it
especially if noise is regular.
Old 03-19-2002, 04:09 AM

Here is some information, right from Mobil One's website about engine oil myths:

"Myth: I need to flush my engine before switching to Mobil 1.

Fact: No special preparation is necessary when switching from conventional oil to Mobil 1. We do not recommend mixing different types of synthetic oil, as they may be composed of different types of synthetic base stocks. Change the oil and filter when changing from another synthetic oil to Mobil 1.

Myth: You should break in your engine with conventional oil, then switch to Mobil 1.

Fact: The tighter tolerances and improved machining of today's engines have reduced the significance of the traditional engine break-in. Few manufacturers call for any special consideration. Since Mobil 1 is factory fill in Corvette, Viper, Porsche and other high-performance vehicles, engine break-in is obviously not an issue with current-generation vehicles."

Hope this helps...

BTW -=- I switched to Mobil 1 after my first oil change and haven't had any adverse effects. It has actually improved the feel of my engine and smoothed out the cold starts every morning here in Buffalo.

but of course you don't have to take my word for it...
Old 03-19-2002, 04:19 AM

First of all Mobile 1 doesnt make 5W 50 they carry 10W 30,5W 30 and 15W 30 for cars.Im not sure in the US but thats whats offered here in Canada.I have been using Mobile 1 10W 30 from the first day i hve purchased my Tibby over 4 years ago.I will bve switching to 15W 50 when i go Turbo for added protection and would be better than 10W 30.
The Valve Ticking noise is normal for a few seconds when you first start the car.Sometimes its the moisture thats causing this but its nothingg to worry about.If the noise is consistant than your valves need to be replaced,but in most cases its always ONE VALVE thats defective out of the 16 VALVES.
Old 03-19-2002, 04:26 AM

most likely the noise you hear on start-up is the noise of the HLAs before they get enough oil to them. It is common.
Old 03-19-2002, 05:03 AM

thank skitzo 2uniq and design

my noise go out after 50-80 seconds.
and if i rev up engine it stops early.

i'm sure that here in europe mobil 1
is 5w50 or 0w40.

if you don't believe me do a search on google engine about mobil 1.

so i don't need any engine flush changing oil...
but according to my noise i think i should flush my old oil.
i'm worried about residual diesel flush gasoline
between flush act and new oil and filter.
Old 03-19-2002, 02:18 PM

You really don't need to flush your engine. Mobil 1 will do the trick. I did a long @$$ report on synthetic oils for a college essay. If anything, the synthetics will do the flushing for you. With only 6K on your car, not like you would have anything anyways. Synthetics will clean up your engine real good. It's actually recommended sometimes not to use it on really old engines that have a ton of miles on them because the synthetic fuilds may clean out a small deposit in a seal that was keeping your engine from leaking.

Amsoil 60,000 mile New York Taxi test:
4 Groups of taxis
1 - Conventional Oil Changed every 3,000 miles
2 - Synthetic changed every 6,000 miles
3 - Synthetic changed every 12,000 miles
4 - Synthetic never changed for 60,000 miles (only filter is changed every 12,500 miles)

Group 4's engines has SIGNIFICANTLY less wear than Group 1.
Moral: Synthetics are GOOD!

For more info, check this: Synthetic Oils